Further to me being scared of choking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEDASO

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
04/2001
Country
US
State
California
City
Oceanside
Since I have dysphagia, and no longer eat "soft cookie-like" textures, and try to eat my meat carefully be chewing it down....(YEESH--it takes me forever now to eat a meal...lol), I am interested in those that have gotten "aspiration pneumonia".
First, how did you know you had it?
Second, and most importantly, how did you get rid of it?
Since it is caused by food going into your lungs, how do you get rid of the pneumonia, if the food is still there causing the bacteria? It seems to me, that if you take antibiotics, it might fight the bacteria, but the food is still there...how do you get rid of it?
KEDASO
(Ken)

Try internet search for aspiration pneumonia. I found quite a bit with a quick search. There are some common symptoms but likely are not the same for each person.

I can tell you my Dad was recently diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia and he was asymptomatic except for increased generalized weakness that he thought was ALS. The doctor told him he was also silently aspirating liquids (he was no longer coughing to clear his airway or to alert him he was aspirating). He was treated in the hospital with 2IV antibiotics. He remained hospitalized and had daily chest x-rays until the pneumonia cleared. The doc did tell us if he had aspirated food or a pill he would known it because it would hurt like He#*.

Aspiration pneumonia is nothing to mess with. My Dad was non-compliant until he was hospitalized. After that scare and having been asymptomatic, he only takes in an occasional dessert and relies on his PEG for nutrition.

Hope his experience gives you a perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back