Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado Springs
First it was retroviruses, now it's fungus.
It appears we have very dirty minds.

"Fungal antigens, as well as DNA from several fungi, were detected in CSF from ALS patients. Additionally, examination of brain sections from the frontal cortex of ALS patients revealed the existence of immunopositive fungal antigens comprising punctate bodies in the cytoplasm of some neurons. Fungal DNA was also detected in brain tissue using PCR analysis, uncovering the presence of several fungal species. Finally, proteomic analyses of brain tissue demonstrated the occurrence of several fungal peptides. Collectively, our observations provide compelling evidence of fungal infection in the ALS patients analyzed, suggesting that this infection may play a part in the etiology of the disease or may constitute a risk factor for these patients."​

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4400386/

Interesting but still not sure I'd consent to a lumbar puncture.
Vincent

I had one as part of my diagnosis.

Reading that made my hurt... So, should I have my toenails removed or not? ;-)

Interesting but still not sure I'd consent to a lumbar puncture.
Vincent

Vincent:

It's not that bad. I had one too I barely felt it. I give you that I heard some people having bad experiences with it, mine was nothing at all. I'd do it anytime without hesitation again if I have to. Don't be too scared of it and it's quick too, before I knew it the doc was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back