FTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMG,
Make sure you look every day at pictures, letters, things he did or made pre-personality changes, whatever grounds you to who he really was/is. It does no harm to talk about those things, either, to anyone who will listen. He might, on occasion.

Don't be afraid of what you will remember. Not today, not tomorrow, but when he is gone, the best of him will still light your path.

Thanks for our reply Laurie. He has been much more light hearted the past couple of weeks. The construction is done and I am a lot calmer which certainly helps. He hates seeing me sad and a nervous wreck. I have decided to take a much different approach to this journey and to do my very best to remain calm and patient. He still is having trouble coming to terms with the disease and does not want to know what is ahead. He even told the doctors that at clinic and said that is what Deb is for. I have done well at preparing and now we can just live for the moment. I am truly hoping that he does not have FLD or at least it is mild. I know that he is proud man and does not like anyone doing anything for him. I think this has a lot to do with his mental state at times. I also think that this disease effects at least some of them long before we know it does. The past few years there have been changes and most of them were due to his energy levels and memory. I also know we will go through changes as he looses more abilities and has to rely on his brother and I more. We will face those challenges as best as we can. He was quiet for a day or two after clinic but I was also struggling for a couple of days so I know it takes a toll. He was told he needed to stop using the cane and use a walker or wheelchair more. He also went from 90% to 77% breathing capacity in 3 months. They recommended that Steve start using the BI-PAP at night and to start the approval process. At first, he did not understand or take it well but I think they did a great job at warming him up to the idea. This all takes a toll on his mental well being so for now we will just wait and see and hope he does have major issues with FTD.

FTD is such a hard concept to grasp as it covers a range of behaviours and it also covers such a range of severity.

I am so glad to know that in general things have settled a little with Steve.

I was interested though that you wrote
At first, he did not understand or take it well but I think they did a great job at warming him up to the idea. This all takes a toll on his mental well being so for now we will just wait and see and hope he does have major issues with FTD.

The video by Dr Appel just describes it so well for me.
http://alsn.mda.org/article/when-thinking-parts-brain-go-awry-als#Appel_video

Keeping as positive as possible and looking after your own energy is critical as a CALS at any time and even more so when FTD is involved.

Tillie

My mom was finally diagnosed last week after the doctors just accepted her insistence that she had Parkinson's. When the fasciculations sp? started, I got a bit firm and her Neurologist sent her for an EMG. The Neurologist and then an ALS expert diagnosed her. But the worst part is she has FTD and damage to her corpus collosum. Reading your words is a Godsend, because I just thought my mother hated me. She has a lack of empathy, which is painful - but I now "get" it.

My mom also went through a strange, sexual obsession thing...including walking around the house naked. What is troubling is she is also brilliant, and uses that brilliance in bad ways. Example: She asked my daughter to buy her some medical marijuana (ugh). My daughter has a "Card" and I do not support it at all, but she is an adult....and my Mom's primary, caregiver. When my daughter said no, my mom called the police and said my daughter threatened her with bodily harm (my mom was a trial lawyer - forced to resign when her speech and gait became bad). Right before she called the police, she called the cell phone company and disconnected my daughter's cell. She did this, so my daughter could not call me - and I would not come across the street and interfere with an arrest! My daughter's girlfriend texted me that the police were across the street and I went to see what happened. My mom started screaming for me to get the F out of her house (we were laughing over dinner the night before) - then she said, "I'm making sure you can never practice law in this town again B". I explained to the officer that she was ill and they left.

Mom's behavior and paranoia deteriorated and she ended up in the hospital. When she arrived, she changed her story to say my daughter beat her up (instead of threatened her). I kept the texts and recordings proving Mom was angry at not getting marijuana. Her stories at the hospital resulted in an adult protective investigation being opened FOR MY DAUGHTER.

What a mess. This is not my mom. My mom loves us, and she adores her one and only granddaughter. My mom is now on an anti-psychotic medication and a mood stabilizer. Her lack of empathy, rage and occasional crying and suicidal ideation continues. The FTD and emotional aspects are DEVASTATING. My mom called my new husband and told him I am a gold digger, etc.. She then called my office and said things...I am a trial lawyer and work for the Government. I do not know what she said, but after she was stabilized on meds she told me that she called my office, she felt bad and like she shouldn't go to church, that the things she said were untrue (she has never told me WHAT she said) and that she called to tell them she was psychotic and is now on meds.

The problem is that I have a horrible employer, and am afraid of the damage she has done - I can say this, as the lack of morale and investigation of us attorney's at tax payer expense are matters of public interest. My mom called my cell and left me a message saying I have a sexually transmitted disease, that this disease seeped into my daughter's brain and caused her dyslexia. None of this is true...but she was screaming and furious.

She told my daughter she will never call the police again, because she does not want to talk to psychiatrists in a hospital.....but never said I am sorry. My mom was afraid what she said could get me fired, and we would find out she called my job...but she never said sorry. The list of this type of behavior goes on and on. My question is, how do you all cope with the meanness and lack of empathy? I saved all recorded messages, in case they are needed....but how do you protect yourself from any harm?

I love my Mom. Now that I know about FTD....I see her actions as part of her illness. I am her only daughter and I was raised with love...so this is so out of character. Her behavior predated her physical symptoms and slurred speech. I agree with other posters regarding what comes first ALS wth FTD...or FTD with ALS. The pain of watching a loved one wither away is soooo compounded when they are acting and speaking like someone you do not recognize, and that someone can be cruel, paranoid...even vulgar.

My mother is so physically beautiful...so known in our profession as being regal, and a queen. As much as I hate to watch this dreaded disease attacking her body, I cry about watching the disease take her poise, her compassion, her empathy. No one, except the people on this site, realize the rollercoaster the emotional and psych symptoms create. How often we have to remind ourselves this is not Mom, it is organic brain disease. Any advice is so appreciated.... I am so happy I found this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't even bother to read that until it's broken up into paragraphs.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with such a huge change of behaviour in your mum.

This sounds like quite extreme FTD and the first point I guess is that you cannot reverse any of it, though medications may contain it a little like help stop her going into full rages. Sometimes the meds help, for my Chris an antidepressant actually took the edge off his rages, and then he lost his speech to the point where he really could not rage any more.

It is devastating, and the only real thing I can say is that to cope I tried only to show love back to Chris. I learned that he would never apologise and I learned that I could not take up any kind of rational conversation about anything he got stuck on. I did not often give my opinion as his paranoia would turn most things around to be so twisted. Often I just let him rant, and would give little in response except listening and accepting what he said. No agreeing with what he said, but accepting that this was what he was saying about what he believed or felt.

Where is her physical condition at with the ALS? Is she bulbar onset?
Very often ALS+FTD results in a faster progression as you may well know.

I just ticked off Steve by asking him to let me know if he had issues with coughing. He said "I don't know why you are asking me that, I haven't been coughing''. He then told me that he did not understand why I am bringing up things that are not happening.

Seriously, he doesn't know or care to know anything about ALS. He also does not see any of the changes. I am all for him not worring about the future every minute od the day but it is so hard when I do know what is happening

I think many CALS see far more that their PALS because they are observing, but surely the PALS can feel what is happening.

Chris was an odd mix of denial and huge anger. So he would deny many parts of what was happening, but throw other parts of what was happening at me. (suddenly say things like - you will just find me dead on the floor because I've choked one day you know) Often things that were happening to him became my fault, or any of the strategies that are designed to assist or keep a PALS safe were seen as me just writing him off.

CALS have to straddle both worlds - the world of anticipatory planning to avoid crises, and the world of living in today and making the most of whatever you have now. It's not easy to have a foot in both worlds at once! Especially when your PALS only wants to live in today.

So I had to do a lot of that planning alone, and he would resent any of it that he came in contact with. I hope you can all develop the skill of stepping back a bit from the whole thing of the anger, denial and paranoia so that it does not rip you right apart.

Thanks, Tillie - these links were very helpful. After 10 years of caring for my mother's Alzheimer's disease, I was initially concerned lest my sister be developing that dreadful disease when we first saw glimmers of cognitive problems, but she has been able to function in a high-pressure, responsible job despite occasional confusion and memory lapses, so we discounted what we were seeing. Now that she has been diagnosed with ALS we are viewing the symptoms of short-term memory problems, spatial confusion, occasionally inappropriate behavior, and very short attention span in another context. A good friend of hers visited during her holiday stay, and just hours after she left, my sister told me animatedly that she looked forward to seeing her friend the next day (she had completely forgotten about her visit already). One thing that really concerns me is that her husband will not explain to their teenage children what is happening, because he fears that it will upset them, and the children seem to be embarrassed because they think their mother has a mental illness. One child refuses to have anything at all to do with her because of this, which only compounds the cruelty of the disease. Clearly the kids can tell that there is something seriously wrong with their mother, so it seems to me that the kindest thing all around would be to explain the situation to the kids so they can begin to grapple with the changes they are seeing and so they will not continue to shun her. She has been a loving, devoted mother, and she needs their love now more than ever, so I hope her husband can face the situation himself and then help his children to do the same while she is still an active participant in their lives.

Thanks Tillie for giving such wonderful advice. This is one thread I will go back to many times.

Pleasure to help :)

I also have some pages about FTD and caring for someone with FTD

you can search alsgardens dot net dot au

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back