Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
I very seldom post here but I've had a thought.
Is it the onset of FTD or just plain mental overload for PALS dealing with everything?

Mood swings... who wouldn't?
FTD was brought up at one of my clinic visits.

At my age (71) is just part of it and this on top of it?

During the day I have to look and see what day it is... sometimes more than once.
But... on a lighter note... when you are retired there isn't a lot of difference between
Mondays and Fridays anymore.

You have a lot on your plate Your illness and Ann’s. I know that healthy caregivers of people with AD start to question their own well bring/ sanity sometimes.

mood swings. Different than emotional lability? You know that is common with ALS and unconnected with FTD. I don’t think mood swings are particularly indicative of FTD. Generally loss of executive function and loss of empathy. often paranoia. These things tend to be more obvious to others. Usually family/ close friends.

My doctor and one of the researchers I see a lot have said they would be able to tell if I had FTD. You have been seeing your doctor a long time too I think? Maybe ask them for an opinion if yiu are worried?

Thanks Nikki. I know this goes for CALS who have their own health issues too along with
being CALS. Mood swings... maybe sometimes my posts reflect that. But... I am trying to
keep my sense of humor. I have always been reluctant to post person stuff. As some may
not know my wife has been diagnosed with the onset of ALzheimers. She has a steel rod
in her back... that didn't go as well as they hoped. She has to get back shots every two
months. They found a cyst on her ovaries, they removed both of her ovaries... well, that
didn't go well they may have to go back in. The worst thing for Alzheimer people is to be
put under.

I don't ask for much but I'd love to have just one month without Dr. appointments.
Right now... I'd take two weeks. :)

Some thing I take as cute... Ann goes with me to clinic. She tells him...
"He forgets when my doctors appointments are."

I buy Post It Stickies buy the the six pack then I forget to keep up with them.

PS. Above all this we consider we are blessed. We have excellent insurance
coverage and we are fortunate to be where we can afford to address our
future needs. I always remember those who aren't and don't. For them it is
a greater burden and struggle.

Whatever... didn't mean to ramble on.

Last edited:
Al, When I had a traumatic brain injury I went through a ton of tests and one was specifically designed for executive function. There are online tests to evaluate this. Basically symptoms of executive function are

• trouble controlling emotions or impulses
  • problems with starting, organizing, planning, or completing tasks
  • trouble listening or paying attention
  • short-term memory issues
  • inability to multitask or balance tasks
  • socially inappropriate behavior
  • inability to learn from past consequences
  • difficulty solving problems
  • difficulty learning or processing new information
I'm sorry your wife is going through so much. If I had to be a caregiver, knowing what I know about my brother's dementia, I would not be functioning at the level I am in terms of mood, memory, and tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back