Status
Not open for further replies.
scaredwifetx, I hate to say this but I'm so grateful to hear that other people have doubted themselves too! I was just explaining to a friend that I've become the briar hag (I was a Dungeons and Dragons player before all this)--I shriek and say horrible things and rage, thinking that surely I'll get through to him (and others) this way. I've tried being sweet, I've tried cold rationality, I've tried not caring. So now I'll try being awful. When it doesn't work, I just think I'm a dreadful, selfish person and it must be because I'm reacting psychologically--I hate him because he got sick.

But affected (Tillie), I think, mentioned early on in this thread that there isn't such a thing as "brain fog". I've been a college prof for years and I observe nuances in my students' behaviors and know when something is up, and I intervene. So some part of me knew I was seeing things that were "off" and that there was something really wrong. I knew the same thing back in April of this year but it took me months to convince him to go to a neuro. Less than three weeks later, we had the ALS diagnosis.

So I guess it's our job not to ignore what we see and to fight on their behalf. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. And no doubt I'll continue to be a briar hag every now and then :)

Thanks for your support everyone. This is really hard.

Deety, I am also glad Someone else understands. In reality there are a lot of us who are or have done through this. It's so hard not to lose yourself along the way. I have had to try patience, ignorance, screaming, crying and so many emotions the part couple of months with the insurance, contractors and equipment people. I am itsy sure I am turning into jekyll and Hyde. Lol. We have to remember that this to shall pass and we can make it out the other side. We may be weathered from the storm and forever changed but we will get through it let's make a deal to communicate to each other when we start going crazy that way maybe our heads won't start spinning.

One of my critically important pressure release valves was to be able to talk with others who understand online. If you are concerned that what you say may be seen and recognised there is a private CALS group I can point you to. I am still a member there and I used that place to discuss the FTD stuff and yet this place always felt like my family (and still does). A CALS can never have enough supports!

I always felt I could do the physical caring with one hand tied behind my back, but the emotional battering of FTD on top of the grieving of ALS nearly undid me. But I'm still standing, (I got knocked down, but I got up again) and I can tell you that there is a way through xxx

If you can't afford an attorney how do you get a POA?

If you truly can't start here http://www.lascinti.org. If they do not do that sort of work they can probably direct you to someone who can

Just wondering if any of you has told your PALS that they have FTD. My PALS and his cold behavior towards not just me but others as well has me providing exudes (sorry he said that it is a part of the disease) frequently. If he hears me say something he gets upset with me and I get the cold shoulder for the rest of the day. Heaven forbid I mention how much I miss my old sweetheart (I don't say this anymore now that I know that man I knew is no longer here and can't be here). My heart breaks and I cry when I remember. He means we'll and I know he doesn't want to be this way but...sigh.

Katie that's a great question.

There was no way I could have told Chris. A very typical part of FTD is that the person affected does not know they have changed. Add to this the inability to follow through anything complex, and sprinkle a generous helping of paranoia on top and you have a volcano waiting to erupt.

He would turn to me a times and randomly say - and don't worry I'm not gong to lose my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back