Diagnosis
04/2018
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Well, I’ve read a lot on this topic here today and done a search to see if my questions have already been answered. Also went to some of the links and searched a bit - no luck.

So, I’ve been diagnosed with ALS for 1 1/2 years and don’t feel (or hear from others) that I have FTD. Can I stop worrying that I’ll still develop that too?

Also my sister has had a serious behavioral change and over the past 10 years become increasingly very angry, obsessive/ compulsive, isolated and hostile. She lives alone and her one child has not lived in the area for several years. She has no friends, won’t communicate with me and speaks about me with great hostility to her daughter (our parents and only other sister have all passed away) - she is also always angry and at odds with her daughter (who she previously was very close to).

We’ve thought she had some kind of mental illness but I’ve just realized since I have ALS and she’s acting this way that she may have FTD. She’s currently 70 years old. I can’t imagine how anyone could get her to see a doctor right now. They would have to tie her up and carry her. Does this seem like FTD? What happens to people with untreated FTD who are basically on their own?

More often than not in the ALS/ FTD combo the FTD comes first or close to simultaneously. It isn’t always that way but I wouldn’t worry very much. About 1/2 of PALS develop some degree of cognitive impairment but it is often mild. My genetic form of ALS has a strong association with FTD so I worry too.

FTD is possible for your poor sister but it could be many other things. The issue of a family member having it and refusing evaluation and help is one that is happening in my family right now. it is extremely painful and difficult And unless one gets guardianship you are very limited. Catastrophes do happen. I imagine her daughter is doing her best

I am sorry

Thanks very much Nikki. That calms me down a lot. And yes, I think my niece is doing the best she can. At least she’s still in the loop with her Mom.

It sounds like your sister might be suffering from depression. Anger, OCD, frustration, etc. can all be manifestations of depression.

My brother has early-stage Alzheimer's disease but, prior to that, he was depressed but refused treatment. He also isolated himself from any form of friendship except his wife, me, and his daughters. His wife had to tread lightly around him or he'd get angry. His default answer to everything was NO.

Nikki, I'm sorry to hear someone in your family is having difficulty with FTD. It makes it so hard for everyone, especially in FALS.

Yes, Kim. Perhaps it is depression. It’s sad because she used to be such a fun loving person and very social.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back