dfuller12

Country
US
State
MA
City
Lynn
Hi,
I am here as my husband is in the process of being diagnosed. First EMG, done at local neurologist office, states that there is evidence for a motor neuron disease. We have been to MGH for a first consult and are now awaiting a second EMG to be done at the ALS clinic at MGH as well as a couple of tests that were sent out to a private lab. I am wondering how long it took for you and or your loved ones to get a DEFINITIVE diagnosis of ALS? My husband is 58 years old and appears to be getting weaker with each passing day. He told his primary for months he was getting weak and did not have the strength in his arms and legs that he used to. The doctor said go to the gym if you want to be strong. Needless to say, he is has a new primary doctor now. This is not our first time dealing with a serious, terminal disease. Our 35 yr old daughter lost her 27 month battle with GBM, a deadly form of brain cancer, In April of 2010.
Thanks in advance!

Friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Your family has had more than its share of suffering. I am so sorry. I cannot even imagine the pain of losing a child.

To answer your question, I can only speak to my experience. My diagnosis was determined after my one and only EMG.

Please remain hopeful. Other conditions may contribute to a " dirty" EMG. I hope you don't have to wait much longer for a definitive answer. The wait is torturous, I know.

We're here for you!

We are all different. I had my 1st symptom, dropping something for my dominant hand, in 2008, a probable diagnosis that was not delivered but charted and a definitive diagnosis in fall 2011. Mine is distal onset intrinsic muscles. Translation my hands feet and balance don't work. Glad you got a new GP, the last one did not seem to have much of a bedside manner.
Wishing you the best
H

Elaine,
Thanks so much for the support. I know after dealing with our daughter's battle with cancer, that forums like this one are invaluable and life savers for all of us. I had a CarePage that I kept up with posts so that family and friends could keep up to date with Kristen's status. It was easier then trying to keep everyone aware via phone calls. That would have been overwhelming.

Have a good Day!

Hi H,
Thanks for the support as well. It is greatly appreciated.

Take care!

The EMG is really the definitive test for most of us... I went to a clinical trial at MGH, you're in good hands there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back