Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
Florida
City
St. Petersburg
In January had numbness and feeling of something in the pads of both my feet, g p sent me to a neurologist who did and emg. Told me i had neuropathy from diabetes and b6 toxicity. I tend to be a worry wort even at 65 . My a1c has never been over 6.5 and have never had high numbers in glucose. Neuropathy gets worse, now when i touch my thighs the bottom of my feet vibrate. Another emg , says its long length dymylenating polyneuropathy. My legs have started having twitching in them sometime feel burning and upper thighs feel like they tend to be weak. Had a lumbar MRI done and was told i have moderate stenosis. Typing this out i am still trying to figure out why i am associating it with als. My neurologist is a neuromuscular dr. So I'm thinking he knows what he's doing. Please just tell me i am foolish.

I would never say that outright (that you are foolish), but you have already been provided the real reason why you have the symptoms you do. I would also direct you to the READ BEFORE POSTING at the top of the Do I Have ALS section- which addresses numbness and burning sensation type things.

I am very happy to say you do not belong on this forum and wish you well in your pursuit of symptom relief from what you have actually been diagnosed with from your doctors.
Best

~F

Thank you for your quick reply and i have read the stickies that is why i feel foolish.

Sorry for bothering everyone, the twitching has gotten worst , and I'm thinking the worst. Twitches last all of a second or two mostly right leg but jump to the left. Looking at my emg reports trying to make some headway out of it but truly don't understand, thinking of calling the neurologist and tell him my fears, accept he knows I'm the anxious type and will just dismiss me, trying to figure out what all those numbers mean. I'm scared.

Twitching as you know from the stickies means nothing. Being worried might even make it worse!

I think calling your neurologist is a great idea. Plan carefully what you are going to say so your concerns get addressed. If you need the EMG explained( it was not before?) state that and your symptom concerns. Be concise and say what you need to know.

Wondering if the numbers that are worrying are on the NCS not the EMG? The EMG does not have a lot of numbers just sometimes 1+, 2+, 3+. The NCS is not the problem area with ALS. The reports are generally together and it is not easy to figure out if you are not used to looking at them

Last edited:
if i post the two reports do you think someone may explain it to me. my neurologist appt is aug 18 don't know if i call monday whether he would see me.
Yes i know twitches can be anything , i keep saying this to myself and the rational part of me know this.
ironically i use to help the worried well in a volunteer job with hiv and would get thousand of questions from the worried well, the answer was easy go get tested if you are worried. i find myself in their shoes with something that is more of an exclusion diagnosis

If you want to post ( be sure to remove all identifying data ( name, dob, medical records number, preferably name of MD and institution) we can at least tell you which is which and maybe reassure you about the EMG

Scan 7.jpg

Scan 8.jpg

Scan 9.jpg

Scan 10.jpg

Scan 11.jpg

Scan 12.jpg

reflexes were normal, no fasciculation on the one in may or jan

Your EMG is normal. The part that matters with ALS is the needle part ( see page 2). The section where the only numbers are 0s which means normal is the EMG

Please relax and when you see the neuro you can ask questions about your diagnosis

thank you for your reply, i was looking at the wrong stuff, will address my questions carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back