Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
london
City
london
Hello Everyone I have a friend's mum who has contracted ALS and it is not only awful for the person but also for the relatives who watch this - How to keep positive thoughts?

Personally, I think the best thing you can do is just be there. Support your friend by educating yourself.
My mother has it, and the only thing I want is for my friends to educate themselves so that I can talk to them openly. Rather, I feel that I have very few people to talk to that actually have somewhat of a clue as to what the disease is. Just being here is a good step, and your friend will thank you for it! Most people around me just ignore the subject.

.As an ALS patient, I can tell you that the smallest things mean a lot. Bringing meals, just keeping me company, and remember that it is really only our motor muscles that are affected. Our brains hearts and souls are still the same. And I would straightout ask your friend specifically what can you do. And bless you for caring

dont' forget to hug and touch them. People are so uncomfortable with this disease. It hurt my brother when someone didn't respond to his touch. Their minds are all there! Dont' forget. Keep calling your friend often and go out and talk. The family is devastated and need people that will care. You are a good friend to be on here and asking.

you are a good friend to be here to find out how to help, and that says A LOT!

we have a friend how brings a meal almost once a week and that has been a huge help, another few that stop in every so often(weekly or bi weekly) even if it is a quick stop by it means the world because getting out is hard so the social life is gone.

My mother passed away after 15 months of diagnosis and there will be many days when it is hard to keep positive thoughts. I am 44 yo male and every day I tried to visit her, some days I would sit in the driveway and cry in my car before I would go inside just so I could appear to her that I was positive even well knowing that the worst would happen. Just as stated above try to visit with her often small gifts such as cards of small stuffed animals. If she has email and is no longer able to respond to them read them to her and respond to them. I know these are some things my mother enjoyed.

I am really touched by your question and my best advise is being there. I visited my dear friend
regularly and was therefore able to understand her and that was a great comfort for her. I
contacted her friends for her, communicated sometimes with the nursing staff, did things
that were special. I found that regular visits were the key to understanding what she was
saying and intending. You know, some people came and some distanced the ones
that visited, just being with her meant so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back