Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
az
City
phoenix
Hello....A close friend has been diagnosed with bulbar ALS 4/2016. She has a wonderful husband, 2 parents close by, & 3 young adult children. One still in HS with my children.

She & her family have kept her diagnosis private. She spoke to me about it July 2016. I have been honoring her privacy despite her very obvious absence from our community. Sadly I have not seen her since May, but occasionally get a reply text which thrills me as I realize the energy it must take. I miss her very much.

Her Mother reached out yesterday & told me that she will not talk about a feeding tube, is very angry, drags both legs to walk, and cannot be understood verbally. This has just got me torn up inside.
I worry she is lonely, home all day alone.

Any advice for me would be appreciated. I'd like to open up and reach out to her 16 year old daughter and offer my support. Just don;t know how to....

Paddy, my advice is to offer anything you want any time you want. The worst that can happen is...nothing.

You can say to her, her daughter, her husband and her mother, anyone that you want to know, that you miss her, want to help, that you would be happy to help with chores, meeting her needs, or just being with her. If you say it to all four in close proximity, it has a greater likelihood of being acted on, but if not, you have tried.

Thanks for caring.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back