Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
How many of you with a peg eat more often than every four hours?

I'm one of those who experience the sucking in, then popping out of my peg, and I've read that its because the stomach is trying to "eat" the balloon. I don't know if that is really true, but it makes me more interested in trying the Bard button. The pulling and popping of my peg does serve to help me remember its time to fill back up ;-)

I'm not sure how fast liquids leave the stomach. I can't find a definitive answer stated in a scholarly article, and don't really have the patience to research it that thoroughly either. I know they don't digest any faster than solids consumed by mouth, but digestion isn't the same as stomach emptying.

On Yahoo Voices, one person wrote that about 90% of the liquid meals will empty within 60 minutes (measured by scintigraphy) .

Regardless of the exact length of time, if there are no problems with gastric emptying, but just have a peg due to swallowing or weight loss, there seems to be no reason to not have very frequent meals. What do you think?

Throughout the day, most days, I have something every two hours, or sometimes even less (because of the popping peg thing).

3x a day.

Should have been a choice...

8^)

LOL, I started out with times per day, and switched it to time elapsed. I don't think I've ever started a poll before.

Three times a day.

8)

But seriously, you can keep weight up just eating three times a day? How many calories? (don't tempt me to start another poll!)

2ea IsoSource 1.5 3x a day.= 2,250 cal

I put other, voting for my Chris when he had a peg.

I had to choose that as it was not regular because with FTD he would refuse feeds as often as not. So some days he would get a mighty 5 feeds, others 2 or 3.

He was also eating a little by mouth.

Before you ask how did he keep up enough calories that way - he didn't, he continued losing weight after the peg and was around 47 kg when he died.

If I tried to get him to take feeds as frequently as 3 hours apart he would complain of feeling bloated and nauseous. He would complain the formulae were awful but would not come at trying real food blended up.

Sorry, he is the spanner in the works I think :shock:

Twice a day because he will not do it himself even though he is still able to, so I do it in the morning and evening. It means I have to give him 2.5 cans of Jevity 1.5 each time but luckily he has been able to tolerate it.

Well, today for each meal I checked the time.

Its 4:30 pm local time, and I had meal number 3 around 3pm. I'm behind because there was a shopping excursion to pick out paint for the front door, followed up by a (lengthy) session trying to figure out how to do something on my website.

I think, because I get the "popping" thing with my button, that it triggers me wanting to eat, because the popping stops when I get some food in there. Its not painful, but it is distracting.

Some, (like how Tillie's Chris complained of bloating sensation) may have a slower gastric emptying than I do.

It looks like its going to be a five meal day, today.

So far I've had applesauce, milk, protein powder in the milk, coffee oatmeal, a real food blends salmon meal, a can of Wolfgang Puck's potato soup blended (aka pulverized!) in my blendtec until it was nice and warm, and only a little milk added to thin. and some extra avocado or coconut oil added to most meals. I'm at around 1,500, so still short for the day. That means I may have to fall back on adding some Bailey's later tonight 8)

Definitely add the Bailey's!

My husband, Job, is on continuous feed about 20 hours a day . He is getting about 6 cans a day of Jevity 1.2 for approx. 1700 calories and also some food by mouth. We should be running the pump at a higher rate but he has had problems with bloating.

My wife has 4 meals a day of Isosource, approx 300 ml per meal. Normal day 8, 11:30, 4, and 7:30

every 3.5 hours. for those of u eating large meals, how do u get all your water in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back