Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Texans!

Irma and Nettie I hope y'all and your families will be alright!

Thank you jimercat! We'll be okay, hopefully! My family is scattered all over, LOL! I am not planning on sleeping tonite! If our power goes out, I will be an unhappy camper! I can deal with it as long as we have power. Thanks for your prayers, jimer. I have not heard from netty!

Irma

thinking of you

irma,freddie and netty,delb and everyone else in texas.
i hope you will all be ok.
you are all in my thoughts and prayers this weekend.
take real good care.
caroline:)

I know quite a few are without power now. If you can let us know your are alright. May God be with you.

My brother in OHIO has no power due to hurricane! I cannot imagine being close to it and I am checking the MSN reports daily and thinking of all the PALS and CALS living around there.

Hoping that a power outage is the worst of your problems and that you are all SAFE!

freddie my patient has psuedomia sp , it's a water, soil and air borne pathogen.
It's rife in hospitals, anyone can get it but immune compromised people are more likely to get it.
It's a hard one to treat, just make sure you keep yourself safe by wearing gloves etc, keep fingers out of eye's nose and mouth areas.
I heard that it can be treated with months of IV antibiotics but it's not always successful .. our patient has had it for ages and she's doing ok, we just watch out for signs of it flaring ie.. offensive mucus , and fevers.

Don't blame yourself...you are doing an awesome job!

Love Winnie

Thanks!
We have been home for about a 2 weeks, we rode the hurricane out in the hospital and then came home to no power. This is Freddies wife netty, I am so worried about that aspuedomona sp? He was on alot of antibiotics, it was scary, a few children are around Freddie alot.........that concerns me........We all know how nasty they are no offense, but I have raised several and we all know that they pick their noses and scratch their butts and do not wash their hands............I always use gloves when I mess with the trach area...hhmmm didn't know about the mouth and eyes. Thanks for the heads up.......He has allergies and I have noticed today alot of swallowing and coughing..........I hope it isn't here we go again................I am sick of the hospitals..
netty

nettie the nose eyes and mouth advise is for your own safety not hubby's .. We use gloves when suctioning our patient and when emptying the suction bowl, but then I notice that we spread it by contact of door handles , taps etc.
I've bound to have put myself at risk many times to be honest, and recently have had a gland come up in my neck and antibiotics haven't cleared the whole thing, i'm hoping I haven't infected myself :eek:)
I spoke to Dr and they said to practice safety measures closely *oops* .. which is almost impossible to do really.
Does hubby take vitamins via his peg?..you could build up his immune system that way..

Nettie remember it's air, water and soil borne ... hubby could have got it via anything and the main thing is, he has been treated and he has you to keep an eye on him.

Here , I have copied and pasted this for you , it's a basic understanding of what it is...http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-pseudomonas-aeruginosa.htm

Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic bacteria that lives in soil, water, and even in environments like hot tubs. For most healthy people, this bacteria seldom poses a problem. Occasionally people will develop conditions like hot tub rash, and swimmer’s ear, which may be due to contact with these germs. These conditions can sometimes resolve without treatment, or with minimal treatment, like antibiotic drops for swimmer’s ear.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa tends to live all around us, it is most dangerous to those who are in weakened physical states or have immunodeficiencies. Despite hospital cleaning and safety the bacteria may aggressively survive in basic hospital equipment, like masks used to give oxygen, breathing apparatus, or catheters for urine.....
Interesting to note that even with careful cleaning it can still survive, it's all around us ..it sounds like a blasted nuisance !

Big hugs
Winnie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back