Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad was diagnosed three years ago this month. He is 80. There isn't a thing wrong with his mind yet. Just to be sure they had a psychiatrist through the VA come and exam him. He passed everything with flying colors. I don't mean to hurt your feelings but I personally don't think you should be driving. You don't need the risk of hurting yourself or anyone else. You have way too much on your plate as it is. I'm betting though that alot of your issues are stress related. Hugs, Kim

Thank you all for your input. I'm hoping it is just stress! I really would stop driving all together if I could! I haven't been sleeping well simply because of my stress of bills as well as the ALS Association coming to my house basically saying they have never had someone in my situation and aren't sure how to help!

Gday there, if the ALS Assc is anything like places in Australia, it may be more beneficial if you tell them how they can help! I do find I have a lot more success if I tell people what I need, then they help as best they can; there's always a compromise but meeting half way is better than nothing.
God bless, Janelle x

Poka, sounds more like stress or fatigue than FTD, if that's what you're worried about. But yeah, not just you on the road. Why must you drive? And what is the situation that ALSA can't help with, if I may ask? Maybe our brain trust can help. And let us know once you get your pulmo function checked. Do you have an oximeter at home? Would be good to know what your sats are, at least.

Igelb, the ALS association came by because I love in a manufactured home with five steps up. Apparently a ramp must be one foot for every inch high. So that would be a long ramp! I have people to put it in or build it, but no supplies. I moved to a manufactured home thinking my medical problems were fixable, before my diagnosis. Apparently it's my death trap according to them! I won't be able to get to the bathroom some day. My shower is dangerous already, but I got a bar! I used to work independent contacting jobs as a CNA, so I'm only eligible for SSI because of my age.. $733 a month. They don't normally get people in my position with kids etc.
My last sleep test showed, I breath OK but my muscle weakness is causing reflux, and waking me up 22 time a night. Guess it explains why I'm so tired!
As for the driving, I have to because my kids that are still at home don't drive and my kids have to eat. So trips to the store are mandatory! Hopefully my 17 year old will get his license soon!

If you have reflux, a BiPAP can only help you sleep deeper. Waking up 22 times a night can't make for safe driving! Are you on a PPI? Or a gastro can write better drugs than that.

As for groceries, that's what delivery is for...we got a delivery every week for years. Typically, if you stock up, there is no delivery fee. Or go in w/ a neighbor or relative.

So before your home becomes a "deathtrap," what about selling, trading or leasing it and moving into a more accessible one? "Access" includes transportation as well; is there transit where you are? Because it sounds like you need to get to some medical offices, and again, driving is prob not the best choice of activity for you.

I know this is all self-evident and a lot to think about, but you're never going to be more physically able to deal than you are now. So esp. when the school year ends, it might be good to make a right turn and get some things underway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back