Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
Hi I was wondering if anybody on here could help me. My name is Gerald, I am a 19 year old Caucasian male. I am concerned that I might have ALS or some sort of other motor neuron disease or neurological disorder. Back in August, a twitch developed in my face where just below my left eye almost on my cheek I’d twitch multiple times a day. Later that month, I checked the symptoms online and got the typical “ALS causes fasciculations” results.

After that, I developed twitching in my legs and feet. Specifically in my calves and quads as well as on the top of my feet ( specifically on the top in both feet.) I went to the ER and the doctor just looked me up and down and suggested it was probably caffeine withdrawal (I had cut down completely on caffiene a couple weeks prior) or a vitamin defficiency, but no actual exam was done.

Later, I went to my actual doctor since the twitches persisted and told him about the twitches which were now basically all over my body (my legs, feet, abs, calves, shoulders, neck, you name it). He looked me up and down, gave me a funny look, and assured I didn’t have it considering I’m only 19 and have plenty of muscle (I work out everyday if not every other day).

Still, just for my own self assurance, he had me do some blood work, and a week later the results came back saying the only thing wrong with me was slightly elevated cholesterol (212 instead of below 200) and I also had Mono (the “kissing disease” that causes fatigue but we knew I had that since I was in middle school and he told me that it could stick around for a long time.)

Anyways, it’s been I think two months since I got the results back and the twitches are still happening just as much as they have been. I don’t usually notice them when I’m busy doing stuff and activities but when I am relaxing or watching TV is when I notice it the most. Happens more often in my legs and feet than anywhere else, although my neck does twitch a lot as well as other places.

I should also note that the original twitch in my face that started the worrying for me in the first place has completely stopped. The twitches are characteristically This entire ordeal has just had me freaking out so much that at one point I even cried because I was sure I was gonna die of ALS or something. I was just wondering if you had any advice as to what I should do or if you even think it sounds like I have ALS at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Gerald, no, I don't think this sounds like ALS at all. You notice twitches (like any other distriburbing thing) when you're not noticing other things, and it's often easy to reduce them by staying hydrated, eating nutritionally, exercising (not just lifting but stretching, etc.), doing things that you enjoy, challenging your mind, being with people, etc.

Possibly the mono reduced your resistance to some other virus or temporarily increased your energy needs and your body did not keep pace. Abruptly stopping caffeine can have effects like any other drug.

Congratulations on your good health and of course follow up with your doc if anything really different comes into play.

Best,
Laurie

No ALS. Probably no real disease at all.

No Joke. Sounds more like nerves, stress, anxiety. At 19, you're worried about a lot. Work, Career, girlfriend, college major, etc. That would do it.

Another poster will give a more clinical response, I'm sure. But this looks pretty normal to me.

And by the way, when I doctor looks at you for just quarter second, they're already examining you for many, many things.

Thanks a lot, Mike. And you would be right I am going through a lot right now that’s been stressing me, and the anxiety from the twitches doesn’t help. Neither do my sleeping habits haha. Again, thank you for your input. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back