Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
City
Lowell
Hi everyone! My aunt was diagnosed with ALS around a year ago, and since then it's taking a huge toll on her. She was tested for the family gene and it came up negative, so I know that ALS doesn't run in my family. However, around a couple months ago I started getting pains in my hands. When I would squeeze something tight they would hurt a lot. Of course me being worried I looked at google and ALS came up. After reading about ALS I got very worried. About a week later I noticed muscle twitches in my leg, which really bothered me, considering that's a symptom of ALS. Since then it feels like the twitching has spread to other areas of my body. They will come and go but they are usually in my left and right leg, sometimes in my arms. And my stomach area. Lately it feels like my hands are weaker than usual. I don't know if it's because I am freaking myself out about ALS, or if they are real symptoms. I would really appreciate if someone could get back to me and hopefully put my mind to ease. I am an 18 year old college student and this is really effecting me in a negative way. Thank you!

As some who watched their father die from ALS, I can tell you that I started having 'symptoms' myself. I attribute it to stress from caring for him and worrying about my own health. At your age, it's HIGHLY unlikely to be ALS. If it makes you feel better, make an appointment with your PCP and describe your symptoms to them without mentioning ALS>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back