07/1998
Country
US
State
MN
City
Eden Prairie
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but not to ALS. I was diagnosed in July of 1998 at age 33. I am still driving a car and walking very well. My hands, arms, shoulders and upper body have been most affected.

This fall, I became aware of a book called In Conversation with God by Francis Fernandez. This book has helped me tremendously and I highly recommend it. You may find it odd to hear me say this, but the book actually helped me embrace ALS as a cross to bear. What I've come to understand is this: you can either resent it, be angry, ask why me (I've visited all of the above and it's not helpful) or embrace it and identify yourself with our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Way.

scottevers

Hi scottevers! Read your post, and I pray to God that I will answer it in the most appropriately manner without disrespect to you! Firstly, I do believe in our Heavenly Father. May I ask you why it took this book "In Conversation with God" by Francis Fernandez to slow down your progression? I believe in The Almighty, but when it comes to Als, He has not given us the knowledge to have control over this dreadful disease. There is no cure out there. You were diagnoseded in July of 1998, Hmmmm! 10 yrs? You are still driving, and walking very well? This disease is highly progressive, how is that possible? Again, I believe in our Father, but I am having a problem believing in you! Are you into selling this book?

Irma
(Mom to a Pals that lasted 15 mos. after diagnosed)

I am going to purchase this book today, I can kind of understand what you are saying already. I think those lessons you mentioned are the same in any challenge in life. I have spent time at all of those stages, and am hoping the book could help lighten my mind a bit. Thank you and welcome tot he forum.. Hoping

New Member, Elaine

I am new to the Forum, just joined last week. I've been reading many of the forums' responses and have learned ALS/MND is different for everyone. I am in the "still waiting to have the diagnosis" phase, though personally know from my own deterioration that I have bulbar-onset ALS that progressed to the rest of my body. I am sorry some have only months while I am encouraged that others have years. Without having a solid faith in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, how can anyone endure this horribly thief that takes our dignity and our abilities? I don't blame anyone, especially my loving, kind, gracious Father in Heaven for the losses I have sustained. I am ever grateful for my relationship with Him and know I am not going through this alone. He will carry me though it and then back home to Him.

May God bless you ALL, whether caretaker/caregiver, the afflicted or friend/relative of one who is living with this disease. I have found much strength in your strengths and much comfort in your support of one another. I will continue to read of your struggles and triumphs.

Elaine

Welcome to our little corner of the internet, Elaine. I hope they find the reason for your symptoms soon, and I hope it is anything but ALS!

Hi Irma,

The book has only helped me spiritually. I've been on the same slow progression path for 10 years and do not wish to imply the book has impacted that in any way. I simply purchased the book, found it very helpful, and hoped that others might also benefit. I admit that I'm fortunate to be doing so well 10 years in and want to help others in any way possible.

Scott

Hi Scott! My apologies to you from the bottom of my heart! May God bless you in every way He can, because you deserve it. I am a reader, so I know what good a "Good Book" would be to the mind. This is one thing I cannot understand about Als it affects folks in oh so many different ways! Again, may God bless you, and keep up the good work.

Irma

There's Always Hope,

I would like the name of the doctor in Hilton Head.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but not to ALS. I was diagnosed in July of 1998 at age 33. I am still driving a car and walking very well. My hands, arms, shoulders and upper body have been most affected.

This fall, I became aware of a book called In Conversation with God by Francis Fernandez. This book has helped me tremendously and I highly recommend it. You may find it odd to hear me say this, but the book actually helped me embrace ALS as a cross to bear. What I've come to understand is this: you can either resent it, be angry, ask why me (I've visited all of the above and it's not helpful) or embrace it and identify yourself with our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the Way.

scottevers

Hi , I am new to this forum and totally understand what you mean. When I found out I had ALS I was scared to death, but since then I have had time to read the Bible and talk one on one with the Lord and I am not afraid ! The only thing I want to know is how is it going to happen, I have received some very good advice from members here and I have ordered books to read. I am reading a very good book called HEAVEN by Randy Alcorn, it is the best book I have ever read. Best of Luck !

Good books

Hey guys, not sure what happened to my initial post... but if you are looking for some more great books here you go...

When Heaven Invades Earth... Bill Johnson
90 Minutes In Heaven... Don Piper

Miracles happen everyday!

Your post was removed because of advertising links which are not allowed and claims someone was cured of ALS. I do not believe it and if it really happened it would be world news, not just stuffed on an internet forum. We watch what people post here and are not easily fooled.
AL.

Your post was removed because of advertising links which are not allowed and claims someone was cured of ALS. I do not believe it and if it really happened it would be world news, not just stuffed on an internet forum. We watch what people post here and are not easily fooled.
AL.

Hi Al,

Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes or imply that anyone was cured. My dad has had luck with certain treatments, that's all I wanted to say. Not trying to advertise, just trying to help. But I know the rules now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back