Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: MRI on neck showed Multilevel cervial degenertive disc and joint disease, but from what we have been told that should not cause the twitching in his arms, (tingling and numbness in arm but not twitching) or the slurred speech. So May 1, he is getting an EMG on his right arm. Can anyone tell me a little about what that will tell us? The Doctor explained how they did an EMG. So, I think that I am ok with that, just unsure what the point is. I've seen people talking about clean and dirt EMG results what exactly are they talking about? Also, is this something that we will know the results of right away or is it like an MRI, where we have to wait? Will this tell us for sure if it is ALS? Sorry, so many question, any information is helpful. Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond. I truly appreciate your time.

An EMG when added to the clinical exam can be diagnostic of ALS. If one has true als one's EMG should not be clean.
As far as results it depends. I have heard of people waiting for a follow up to get results. My sister was told immediately (and brutally) by the examining physician

An electromyogram (EMG) is used to record the electrical activity of muscles. When muscles are active, they produce an electrical current. This current is usually proportional to the level of the muscle activity. An EMG is also referred to as a myogram.

EMGs can be used to detect abnormal electrical activity of muscle that can occur in many diseases and conditions, including muscular dystrophy, inflammation of muscles, pinched nerves, peripheral nerve damage (damage to nerves in the arms and legs), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), disc herniation, and others.

Hope this helps.

NH

When my husband had his EMG, we were told the same day, within hours, that he had ALS. No waiting.

My sister was told immediately (and brutally) by the examining physician

I have a hunch who he was...(no names, please).

It was exactly the same for me, Nikki. I was told about my ALS diagnosis in just matter of minutes after the Clinical exam (not even EMG at that point yet) by the same person without any compassion or any words of support or encouragement.
That physician however, is one of the top researchers on the MND field but, if people are looking for compassion, they won't get it from him.

NH

It was not at Hopkins NH but another medical center in the area so probably different doctor. It is appalling that such a devastating diagnosis can be conveyed so coldly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back