Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
utah
City
lehi
This is my first time every posting on a forum. My husband is 58. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my husband speech was slightly slurred. I just put it off as stress. He runs his own business. Then the other day he was frustrated and said I can't even talk any more. After that comment I have paid more attention and noticed that his speech is still slurred almost like he is intoxicated. So I goggled slurred speech and ALS came up. I read about it, still thinking his speech problem were due to stress. Then we went away together for the week end and I noticed that he has a continual twitch in his left arm between his bicep and forearm. It twitches all the time, I can feel it even when he is sleeping. Sometime it also twitches up a little higher in to his shoulder also. He can't feel it and I had to bring it to his attention that it was even twitching. Now I am starting to worry. I brought this up to him that I thought that we should go to the doctor and just get things checked out, I mentioned ALS and he freaked and told me he would kill himself if he has that. He watched his mother pass away because of ALS. So my question is should I force the issue of the doctor or just wait for more symptoms? Is going to doctor going to help anything? I would like to know either way, but is it better for the person being diagnosed to find out later? I am truly worried that if it turns out to be ALS, that it will literally throw my husband over the edge. How fast from twitching will he loose use of his arm or develop other symptoms? Any information or feeling about this would be helpful.

This is so difficult for both of you. I am sure he is terrified. There is a decent possibility something else is going on especially if his mom is the only family member with ALS?
He should go to the doctor because if there is a treatable cause especially for the speech issue you do not want to ignore it. I think there is benefit in early diagnosis as well although some would disagree
The comment about suicide if it is ALS is frightening and if/when you do get him to the doctor you should let the doctor know how he feels. Even if it is ALS you both have a lot of living to do
Good luck and keep us posted

Hi Kimberly

Personally I would not force him to go to the dr. You have planted the seed and he will decide what to do. I am sure since his mother had als that he is scared and knows what is what.

Support him, love him and I am sure he will come to the same conclusion and make a decision as to what to do. Als is different in everyone and so it is hard to predict progression. A diagnosis will help when it comes to financial aid, there are meds to help with symptoms, but there is no stopping or curing. Just be patient and supportive. I wish you strength.

Post went to mod...this is my 3rd mod today. I must have been a very bad girl.

Hi,

I would dare say as with any other disease out there, the longer you wait for the symptoms to develop, the less chance you will have to treat it successfully.
Take Cancer, for example. If people with early symptoms of it went to see their Doctors for a routine check up, the cancer could be discovered and treated on time before it can do any further damage to other parts of your body.

Furthermore, you don't know with 100% of confidence if what your husband has is ALS or if it's something else that can be treated.
There are several other diseases that, at very early stages, mimic ALS but unlike that disease, they can be treated and the symptoms may even improve.

The ONLY ones that can determine 100% sure what is that your husband has are the Doctors and the Neurologists, no one else.
We here are not Physicians nor Neuros to determine this and neither you or him.

Let's hope it is not ALS, but, if it is, then it's NOT by any means the end of the world.
People have learnt to live very wonderful and productive lives even having this disease.
There are equipment that make your life easier such as Rollators, canes, AFO's, wheelchairs, devices to help with the talking if your voice is affected early by the disease such as iPads, Dinavox, etc. and all of them don't need to be purchased if you don't have the money for it.
They can be loaned from the ALS Association "Loaner Closet" at no cost.

But, until a reputable Neurologist doesn't make a full assessment of what your husband has, is incorrect to assume it might be ALS. Just do not wait longer to get it done.
And, tell him that he can count on the wonderful people on this forum for help and support.

There is LIFE beyond any disease on this world.

Hope this helps.

NH

we are all volunteer's and we are here to help
I am on the ALSTUN (ALS treat us now) steering committee, we invite you
to ask us for more information.
tell us if you’d like to join one of our teleconference calls.
help us help you.

Thank you to all who posted. We did go see his Doctor today. Just about stress, but while we were there he mentioned his speech problems (which she had already noticed) and his twitching. He now has a MRI scheduled for Thursday, and an appointment with a neurologist, but not until May 23. (soonest we could get in). So now, I guess we will just wait. Can anyone tell me what they will find out from the MRI? Thank you again!

MRI would show a stroke, growths/tumors signs of ms he might also have Mra which shows blood flow. In general it would not show als although in research studies they are seeing subtle changes in some ALS and what are known as pre FALS people ( preFALS means someone with at least 2 blood relatives with ALS who also has the family genetic defect)
Glad you got things started did he have blood work or is the doctor leaving it to the neuro
Good luck

Your road is sounding eerily familiar to what my husband experienced early on, but I'm praying your husband doesn't have ALS. Just to answer one of your first questions, my husband's arms have been twitching for two years now and he still has complete mobility. So twitching doesn't mean loss of that limb anytime soon. As far as the MRI goes, the first test Tom had was an MRI and that eliminated other possibilities, leaving ALS more probable. I remember being sad that it wasn't a stroke! Keep us posted on your busband's diagnosis. We will all be praying for you both!

Just to give you an update, my husband had his MRI, everything came back good. His doctor called yesterday with an appointment with the neurologist, so we were able to go today. The neurologist has order another MRI on his neck this time and has scheduled a EMG for May 1. He told us that if the MRI show anything then he will cancel the EMG. Thanks again.

Kimberly2790,

Thanks for the update.
I will pray for the MRI results to come clean so he wouldn't need to undergo an EMG.
If the Neuro said that with just a "clean MRI" he wouldn't need an EMG, he must be really confident that what your husband may have wouldn't very serious and could even be treatable.

I hope everything goes OK for you guys.

NH

Hi Kimberly
Thanks for update. I read your post differently than NH. I think you said if the MRI does show a problem they will not do an EMG? And if it is ok they need to keep looking with an EMG?
Either way I hope you get news that points away from ALS.
Stay strong you will be in my prayers

nighthawk, I think you read the post wrong, she stated if anything WAS FOUND on the mri, she would cancel the emgMargaret

Yes, you guys are right. My mistake.
I was kind of excited hopping for good news for them that I must've misread what she posted.
My apologies for the misunderstanding.
However, I do sincerely hope that everything goes well for your husband and for yourself.

Regards,

NH

I pray that something does show up on the MRI! Would love to hear them rule out ALS. Prayers for you all.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back