Diagnosis
5/2014
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Just talked to my guy at the VA handling our sah grant. The total dollar amount went up a little over $3000 on 10/1.

Can you explain what a ash grant is? What doe ash stand for? Thanks!

Special adaptive housing. If your pals is a vet and is receiving benefits you can apply for this grant to remodel or purchase or remodel/payoff your home so it meets the vets needs. So for als that usually means smooth flooring, roll in shower, roll under sinks, french doors, sidewalks and ramps

my sah in w/all the paper work done and now just waiting. gonnna build on to the town house we just got w/va loan a bedroom and bath for me where the carport was. contractor is ready we must be patience! lol chally

Now you have 3k more to spend:)

Could someone PLEASE explain to me what a Sah grant is? My husband is a vet and has limb onset ALS. Thank you
Michelle in Texas

As Gooseberry said special adaptive housing. You can read about it and other benefits in the VA sticky

Michelle, get your PVA rep to help you right away on these grants. The VA is great and your hubby will be well cared for but.......it takes months before things like the housing Grant is approved, and longer before the work is done. The same with having the VA order a custom power wheelchair. You will need all the help you can get and you don't want to wait till the situation is desperate to start applying. Also, apply for the handicapped van right away. This is all in the stickies about vets. Donna

And know that Vets with ALS or MS NOW get help wherever the are in the world.

Sherry

Michelle contact your local pva office. Look for one at a va medical.center. it makes things go faster. Get power of attorney for your husband, create an ebenefits dot gov account, apply for compensation. These are the beginning steps. Also, apply for healthcare,. Once the compensation is approved, you can apply for a hisa grant thru prosthetics($6800) to remodel a bath or ramps etc. Prosthetics will come out and order lots of stuff...temporary ramps, shower chairs, commodes,.etc. Then since compensation is approved, apply for auto grant. It can be done online complete forms , sign, scan and upload. Next apply for sah grant. ($73500) While you are doing all the rest and going crazy, think about what your spouse needs to be comfortable in his wheelchair.(prosthetics/pt will help with this).

You have to have 36" doors, ramps into and out of house, smooth flooring, . We opted for a roll in shower, roll under sinks, hardwood floors, french doors for ease of use, new windows that can be easily opened, etc.

We purchased outside the grant rollout cabinet baskets and garbage cans, a new refrigerator, and stove. Our bedroom and living room furniture didn't fit with the rquirements so additional fur iture was purchased. I changed out all the door knobs for lever handles.and put pulls and knobs on all the cabinets. We also had to stay in a hotel for 10 weeks with my son. It ran around $12k because we had to eat out. All things to think about because you aren't reimbursed for lodging..

Good luck!

P.s. cheerleader is so right. We had all the required paperwork, I submitted it in one day but it took 3 months for approval of the contractor bids, my paperwork, architectural plans, etc. All in all it was 3 months. Took a while for a couple other issues to be ironed out and vacations so construction started 4.5 months after we began. Construction is now at 3.5 months so 8 total.

Nothing is quick and you need to stay on them . If your pva rep is at the regio al office they can go down the hall...much easier!

Thanks all for the kind info. My husband was diagnosed by an independent neurologist. We FINALLY have a VA appointment on the 22nd with his primary doc at the VA.

The primary care doc will do a physical...at least that is how it worked for us. They ordered tons of bloodwork etc. Set up a mental health eval because every gets one yearly at least. They referred for als clinic. It took 2weeks to hear from the als people at VA but we were in the next week for assessment. Not sure how it works there. There is a slightly different approach it seems between centers. Good luck. Once va says als you can apply for compensation,wheelchair,auto grant,adaptive housing, and hisa grant. Life insurance and mortgage insurance too. Lots to keep straight but va diagnosis is the key. Good luck!

You don't have to go to a VA clinic before starting paperwork. We had the diagnosis from two neurologists ( including on specializing in ALS) got approved by VA with the help of PVA- and never saw a VA Doctor till later when we wintered in Florida. Donna

Good to know, Donna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back