Diagnosis
12/2001
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Ruskin
Stasis and Bolus , Stasis is when the liquid from your saliva ,mostly during and after Eating gets hung up on the Epiglotis or the Vulecula . If you find your having to clear your throat alot especially after eating this is Stasis or liquids that dont get down the throat .They hang up on the Epiglotis or near the opening to the Lungs Then you get an Urge to clear your throat or with some , as myself i have times when i choke on things .
Bolus is the solid matter that goes down .Like when you chew somthing up ,it becomes Bolus or a semi solid form . Silent Aspirators Never notice this and get Aspiration Pneumonia . Geo

Thanks for the info, Geo.
I always have to clear my throat alot after I eat. I didn't know why I have so much phlem.

Does anyone with bulbar issues have the feeling like something is in their throat and they can't get it out? This is in general, not just when your eating.

Just phlem for me.

Thanks Judith.

I guess this means you actually feel like it's phlem in there and not like something is stuck.

Yes. Just phlem. Nothing stuck.

thanks geo.
i do find that stuff sticks to the epiglottis and its annoying,when my mouth is closed the epiglottis is touching the back of my tongue if i dont swollow saliva regularly it trickles to the back and makes me cough.
sral/judith
i sometimes get the feeling like theres something stuck in my throat after eating.
thick phlem at the back of your throat makes you want to clear it all the time.
takecare
caroline

iF YOUR THROAT MUSCLES MOVE THINGS THROUGH IN AN ORDERLY FASHION YOU DONT GET THIS (CAPS ERROR LOL) Geo

Stasis

Hi,

This is my first time in the ALSforum. I am interested in your discussion on flem in the throat. My brother has been diagnosed with ALS but I didn't know that there were various types. He seems to have stasis. Is there any treatment to combat the thick saliva and ease the coughing? He is not a computer oriented person and I told him I would try to find some treatment.

If I am the new person mentioned above in the responses, thanks and I hope you will bear with me until I learn the ropes.

LOL I like youir Kitty Caroline LOL .Geo

Ed i have PLS ,i went to a thing called Vital Stim Therapy and had 14 treatments of it ,i eventually got my own Muscle Stimulator ,and that helps me when i get to choking alot . I was told though it can make a ALS Patient worse .So if he is confirmed ALS i dont think i would try it . They problably wouldnt do it on him . A Musle Stimulator is a TENS/EMS unit like for some who have Back pain . It helps my arthritis also which makes my back stiff along with the Stiff from PLS . Geo

Hi Ed. Sorry about your brother. A while back some folks were saying Coca-Cola helps to break it up.
AL.

thankyou geo

olly my screen name was short for oliver.
oliver was my 13yr old cat who died in oct 07 after a long illness with kidney/bladder desease. i put the cat picture up till i get one of me as i have just got a new digital camera............but dont hold your breathe, it will take me a while to learn how to use it. give me a suduko puzzle any day.

my mum has used a tens machine fopr years for her bad back and swears by it.

take care
caroline:-D

Stasis

Thanks for the tip of using Coke. I will tell my brother to try it. Yesterday he had a visit with a respiratory Dr. He said he also was seen by 3 other Drs. They are fitting him for special shoes or some foot device to help him walk better. I have not heard of this in the reading on the forum. Any advice? Also, he asked me to ask if bowel movement problems are associated with the stasis form of als. He is having great difficulty with this.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back