Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Looking at the predicted landfall and storm path of Hurricane Ian, as well the possible windspeeds, and wishing all in Fla are safe in place and have plenty of supplies and assistance or have been able to evacuate with as little stress as possible.

Take care and thinking of you folk.

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo in GA for our son's wedding in May. This hotel had disability rooms where the hoyer lyft legs could fit under the bed. I am not sure if this chain is in Florida or not or if all their hotels have space for the hoyer lyft legs, but if you need to evacuate it might be worth checking on.

Thanks, Fiona. I'm staying put this time. I'm on the Atlantic and my worst fear is flooding since I'm on the first floor. I do have access to higher floors and an empty unit on the second floor, if needed.

My niece (55) and her son (35) are visiting my brother who is now in a VA nursing home with advanced Alzheimer's. They were to fly back Thursday but postponed until Sunday. They're staying with my SIL. We were all in the pool yesterday and they walked the beach after lunch. Now they're back at SILs and I probably won't see them again before Sunday.

We're under curfew and expect the worst of it on Thursday or even early Friday, depending on the speed. It will be a tropical storm when it hits Daytona Beach Shores but my greatest fear is rain. Some models are predicting up to 20 inches. I have the ocean on one side and the river on the other. The river is the greatest threat as it will rise with the rain. It's likely that I will lose power for at least several days. Our common area has a generator and it will kick on if power is out.

I just have to remember to leave my lift chair legs straight out and my bed fully reclined.....last time I forgot and we lost power for three days.

Thinking of you all as I see video of the storm landing

This was a storm of storms. I'm on the East coast of Florida and didn't take the brunt of the storm. Today we're still having windgusts causing our electric to flicker on and off and cable and internet are out. We have alot of debris in the yard and pool from a ripped screen. Otherwise we're ok.

Watching this thread for our Floridians to check in. much love to you all.

Well, the power went off on Wednesday and came back this morning. There was no damage to our structure and nothing bad except the loss of some groceries in my home. It cooled off significantly, so the loss of power wasn't uncomfortable. The condo stayed in the low to mid 70s the whole time.

Sadly, there was a lot of damage in my County and many folks lost their homes. Some lost their lives. It's still to early to know how many died from this storm because so many die in the aftermath.

On the bright side, I found out my lift chair has a battery backup. I had planned to leave it in the legs up position throughout the power outage but I forgot. At first I thought power was back but then I discovered the new model, which I purchased a couple of months ago, adjusts without power. There was a limited amount of time/function but it's good to know.

We lost a beautiful handicap ramp to the beach and one of the piers was washed out entirely. Another pier has significant damage. Last time (2018) it took several years to repair.

Oh Kim I was so glad to see on FB that you were marked as safe.
I just keep weeping inside as I imagine the aftermath and cleanup of this. We are nowhere near back to functioning here from the Feb/March floods. It has been triggering for me to watch video of what has happened there, and I would just keep thinking, just like we had except we did not have 225 km/hour winds on top!

What a great bonus with your new chair - every bit counts.

Please keep taking care and thank you for checking in.

Kim and Lisa, Glad you are okay, My parents enjoyed the Fort Myers area for over 20 years. It is devastating to see the beach now and damage to the other areas of Florida as well. The important thing is that people stay safe now in the after math of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back