Diagnosis
04/2018
Country
US
State
MN
City
Minneapolis
Just reporting as requested in another thread on my experience in case anyone else is considering this. I’ve had my suprapubic cath for three weeks now. Since one week ago I can’t do a standing transfer (without falling) so I’m quite happy to not need to visit the restroom so often. And happy there’s no need for “depends’” at night !!!

I started almost a year ago by visiting a urologist to discuss urgency and too frequent bathroom trips. We went through many tests and PT. From the beginning I was also asking about getting a Supra pubic catheter. In the end as I lost mobility I was diagnosed with functional incontinence. The urologist wanted the neurologist and primary care doctors to give their blessings. I expect Medicare and my other insurance will cover the procedure.

The surgery was pretty easy with no overnight requirement. Kind of weird to get used to a tube coming out of your belly tied to a bag though. I was already on a Medicare episode of home nurse visits which was great. I would say almost essential. It was very painful at first and the percoset caused bad constipation. So I stopped taking them after 4 days. Daily Cleaning and bandaging for the incision is required.

Two weeks in I started to experience a lot of pain “down there” and actual urination. The home health nurse took a urine specimen and I guess, luckily, we discovered it was not an infection but spasms. I’m on a drug called trospium which controls that. It also has quite a few side affects - one being constipation. I think that prescription is going to be long term.

I’ve been struggling with controlling constipation and diarrhea since the surgery. Everything is healing up and working out well. Logistical issues are manageable. It’s so nice to feel free to hydrate myself adequately for the first time in years! My follow up visit with the urologist is still coming up. Six weeks after surgery.

Hope this helps. Ask questions if I’ve been unclear or left anything out. Mary

Sounds like you’re overall pleased so far. So no UTI?
I’m hoping you might give another followup in several more months as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I’m glad I did it and no UTI. If thngs change or new lessons are learned I’ll let everyone know here.

Thanks so much.

Just want to mention to other PALS reading: Hydration is very important for all kinds of body functions and dehydration can zap your energy as well as other things. No matter what, stay hydrated.....even if it means diapers. I'm constantly getting on Fred's A$$ for not drinking any time he goes to a concert or movie. He has sudden onset of having to pee and has actually wet himself twice. The urologist didn't think much of it aside from an enlarged prostate. I bought him some adult depends if he's going to be away from a place to pee for more than two hours. To my surprise, he actually wore them once. I couldn't tell they were on.

I’ve had this for awhile now - and aside from the lack of feeling ‘feminine’ sometimes, BEST THING I EVER DID!!
Also, for those ‘romantic evenings’ tune can be rolled up and covered with a tegaderm patch or something similar. Therefore you only feel like you have a ‘boo-boo’ that you’re covering up!

(did I really just say boo-boo??!!!!!)

I've wanted to do this for awhile but I chickened out, and I'm afraid that it won't be approved for convenience and not necessity.

Nona, What you call convenience might actually be something a doctor would call a medical necessity. Can you get on and off a toilet within assistance? Can you hold urine for 4 hours? Do you sometimes leak when you’re about to get on the toilet? These were my problems. Also slept poorly due to frequent need to urinate.
I felt unsure myself if it would be deemed medically necessary for me even after the urologist diagnosis was “functional incontinence”. The billing person in her office said “incontinence is incontinence” and that she had never seen a problem.
Medicare says a doctor must say it’s medically necessary. Who would want this if it weren’t? Good luck.

Thanks so much.

I bought him some adult depends if he's going to be away from a place to pee for more than two hours. To my surprise, he actually wore them once. I couldn't tell they were on.

Kim, have you tried condom catheters? I use ones from Coloplast. They connect to a collection bag you strap to below the knee. Then he won't feel like he is peeing himself. And you can drain it easily. It leverages the benefit of having a penis. Many would say that having a penis delivers a life full of benefits...

LADIES - URINATION, UTIs and DIAPERS -

My first ever UTI resulted in uncontrollable urination when full. I didn't know what product to purchase for best results for immediate, heavy flow. Adult type products don't have absorbent jell like baby ones do. "Pull-Ups" are so much easier, too.

"Depends Assurance Pull-Up's" lining caused skin abrasion and bleeding. What have you found best and where from?

How does one prevent UTIs when we sit so much? Thanks. B.

I’m still on a quest for the best system. So far, an “overnight brief” combined with an “overnight pad” seems best. I also have a waterproof seat pad on my wheelchair (I’ve learned by experience 😱). I think the best way to prevent a UTI is good hydration, cranberry juice, and good hygiene— wiping perineum from front to back.

I have found the Depend Night Defense to be the most absorbent but still only good for one pee. But I do have skin reactions even when dry so I have to limit how often I wear them.

Before I got the Suprapubic Catheter I used overnight Tena pI’ll up briefs with a Tena overnight pad as well as a bed pad and wheelchair pad. They are very soft and hold a lot in a gel layer.

Kim, have you tried condom catheters?
I told him about these because he might be taking a long flight to surf this Spring. I also want him to go back to the urologist for the procedure but he saw a YouTube video and said he'd rather pee his pants than get that done. Sometimes I feel like his caregiver.

I had my first UTI last year. There was no pain, only pressure and an urge to urinate. It was during my hemorrhoid/anal fissure episode and the bidet stopped working for awhile. I'm convinced the lack of the bidet caused it. That was the first time I took the thing apart and cleaned everything thoroughly. Make sure you clean your bidets and, if you don't use it daily, drain the water out of the holding tank.

Anyway, I found a product called Harmony on Amazon. It had lots of good reviews and is supposed to prevent UTIs

Aside from my morning shake, all I drink is water. I drink tons of it at night but I go in my room early and pee most of it out before I fall asleep. Even so, I get up once in the night to go. Eventually, I'll need something.

Well I can now give a 👍 to Tena Intimates overnight pads combined with a brief for being out and about during the day. I wore pad plus brief, peed in my pants and came home dry! The pad caught the urine and turned to gel. The briefs stayed dry. Nothing leaked through to my outer pants. When I got home, the surface of the pad had only the slightest sensation of dampness, but it was not uncomfortable against my skin. I don’t know how well it would work with multiple pees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back