For the females- suprapubic catheter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad the Tena products worked out! My personal experience was that with both pad and brief I could usually go all night long without a leak. But, I did also use a chuck (bed pad) to feel safer.

Also, just saw that Medicare paid for my surgery. So supplement insurance also paid their 20%.

Recovering now from bladder spasms and constipation. Do not like a leg bag. Too small and didn’t drain very well. Too much to manipulate with my weak hands. Otherwise everything else is going well.

To all — I highly recommend waterproof wheelchair seat protectors. On Amazon I found “absorbent washable reuseable incontinence chair seat protector pads”. These have saved my wheelchair seat cushion now on several occasions. These pads are thin and discreet and could also be used under the bum in bed instead of a disposable chuck pad. They can supposedly hold a fair amount of fluid, though they don’t replace briefs for urinating into.

Learned some new things yesterday at my post operative check up for the suprapubic cath. The tube change was quite uncomfortable but future monthly changes will be easier. First few will be done in doctors office and after that a home health care nurse can do it. The spasms could be due to an infection they discovered last week end. But a targeted antibiotic is helping. P.S. I tried a leg bag one day but hated it so will stick with the overnight bag all the time.

One of the things I found helpful for constipation was Colace Clear. No dyes or other useless additives. I take two of them twice a day and it softens my stool but never gives me diarrhea. No matter what challenges PALS have, constipation makes them so much worse. I also take magnesium and psyllium every day to make sure I'm regular.

I had my first UTI of my life last year. I also used a targeted antibiotic and it cleared right up.

Yes, they use them in hospitals to avoid UTI. They are very expensive for home use.

Last edited:
Good question! I researched the pure wick quite a bit after the previous thread and decided it was just too expensive for home use. Unfortunately. So ultimately decided to do the suprapubic cath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back