AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

For PALS in MA IPADS available

Status
Not open for further replies.

trfogey

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
I'm happy for those PALS, but I really wish ALSA would fund a serious computer accessibility and AAC effort instead of being shills for the latest cute and trendy gadget on the market.

sadiemae

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
I agree, I believe our Nevada ALS association is actually working on something. I do not attend there meetings, but heard a few months ago, that they were working with Apple to get something. Will check into it.

pudge44

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
NH
I agree trfogey, actually I want to know what happens to all the money raised by the ALS associations around the world? I do not think for a minute they squander it but I feel the funds should be largely designated to tech gear for the patients, vehical's and equipment & financial help for whomever needs it, then any funds left over should go towards research, to help find a cure.

People need help faster than a cure will be found for now & special tech equipment is a MUST for patients, just my thoughts :0)

[email protected]

Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
WI
So is the consensus that the IPAD is the best computer to purchase for PALS? In the market for a new computer and want to be thinking ahead!

tmasters

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
California
I have an IPAD and I don't consider it a fully functional computer. I like the IPAD and use it when I'm going to bed or when I'm traveling. But it doesn't support Adobe Flash which is huge, and the keypad is difficult to use for more than a couple sentences. Also, you can view documents and spreadsheets on the IPAD but you can't create them or modify them. I rely on my laptop for real computing needs.

-Tom

peter57

Distinguished member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
AUS
State
S.A.
I agree with Tom about the ipad,

It just doesnt have the functions of a "real" computer, so i use either my desk top or lap top for spreadsheets etc.

cheers
Peter

pudge44

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
NH
I was told the ipad has a downloadable programe to help you speak, my husband will soon need something portable that helps speak for him, any suggestions?

trfogey

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
So is the consensus that the IPAD is the best computer to purchase for PALS? In the market for a new computer and want to be thinking ahead!
Nope. It's too limited in design, functionality, and available software and peripheral hardware to be useful for a PALS's ever-changing needs.

I was told the ipad has a downloadable programe to help you speak, my husband will soon need something portable that helps speak for him, any suggestions?
Look around Joel's website or BarryG's posts on this site to see how they turned lightweight Windows netbooks into their main PALS computer.

pudge44

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
NH
Ty folks really appreciated, so many things we have looked at and so confusing, this will help a lot ((( hugs to you )))

Bad Balance

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
I have the smallest, thinest Apple laptop called the "Air". It is a fully functional laptop with a keyboard and keys that light up in dim light.

Unfortunaltely; most of the new software devices and attachment hardware suitable for us is PC based.

BarryG

Extremely helpful member
Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
BB, many of the newer Apple laptops can run Window OS with a special setting. You might want to check if yours will so you can run Windows speech programs.

pudge44

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
NH
@ Barry I am laughing at my mindless brain cells, I just realized what your avatar is, hello earth to kim..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks