For better or for worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Jim, best wishes for a successful surgery. I'm glad you have such good support both from your caregiver and your sons! I hope your recovery is quick. It's hard to relinquish main caregiving duties even temporarily but hopefully this will be "for better" and not "for worse".

V

The clock ticketh down... Surgery is Tuesday the 12th. Here's how it has been titled - LUMBAR LAMINECTOMY W/ FIX & T L I F

I believe I have all things ready to go. I'll see you all on the other side! :)

My best...

Jim

Will be thinking of you Jim and hoping for a speedy recovery. Kate

Fingers crossed. Sending good thoughts your way.

All best wishes for both of you, Jim.

--Laurie

Wishing you the best.
Sassy

We are right there with you Jim - make sure you let us know ASAP. We love you mate

Hope all goes smoothly, Jim.

Sharon

Fingers crossed for you and Darcey, Jim!

All the best! Viel Erfolg!

Quick update...

Arrived at the hospital at 5:15AM for my 7:20AM Surgery. Surgery went mostly "well". It was complicated in that I had more fractures on my left side of L5 than were observed by my MRI. As I understand it, while attempting to "carve out room" so as to provide the spinal cord ample room, the Dural Sheath was punctured. Sutures closed the sheath's puncture and surgery continued. I was out of surgery about 1PM. The pain level was beyond words and hospital staff worked diligently to bring it under control. I would not move from recovery to ICU for several hours as there was a shortage of rooms. For the most part, ICU staff were attentive, compassionate and skillful in their care. I had to lay flat on my back for the next two days while they monitored spinal leakage. This was an attempt to keep spinal fluids as away from the suture as possible so as to encourage rapid sealing at the suture site of the dural sheath. I did not enjoy laying flat on my back.

Thursday morning I moved to large one-person room that was one step down from ICU. I moved very early (6:30AM) as they were nearing the time for staff change. There was also a marked difference in nurse staff attention. I was greeted by that morning's incoming nurse at about 8AM... and did not hear from anyone at all until 10:30AM when I had to call for pain meds that were already 30 minutes late. The nurse apologized with a "Sorry, I was busy". She also went searching for my 9AM breakfast which had not yet arrived.

They ask you to specify pain level... with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the most painful possible. In recovery, I classed it a "9"... figuring that if I was still conscious and able to talk/moan that there must be a higher pain still available. For the remainder of my stay, the pain fluctuated between 6 and 8... with occasional short periods of 4.

Thursday (noon), I walked (with help and a walker) for the first time. They had me sit in a chair. It felt wondrous to be off my back and out of bed. It also made mealtime and easier venture. I did not ask to return to bed until 9PM. It must have been too long sitting up as I paid for it on Friday. Early on Friday, they removed the wound drain and the spinal drain tubes. They suggested that I'd probably head home later that same day. That afternoon, after changing my wound dressings, I was informed that there was still some minor leakage that they believed was wound versus spinal fluid. They wanted to monitor a bit longer. As such, I'd be spending the night. Late Saturday morning, I was released and sent home.

The last several days have been a blur. I'm sleeping and moving as much as possible. I'm still using a walker but am getting stronger. Each day, I feel somewhat better than the day before. Today was a relapse day in that I hurt more than the two previous days. And tonight, is the first time I've been back to my computer since the surgery.

So that brings us back to now. Again, thank you all for the well wishes going in. Remembering them gave me reason to smile during mid-night dark moments of hurt. I survived and I am getting better. It will be a slow but steady path back to normal...

My best...

Jim

Jim, so sorry to hear of the complications and pain level, but glad to hear you are going in the right direction!

Best,
Laurie

Take care, Jim. Glad you're home.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. Thinking of you as you recover. Kate

been thinking of you every day Jim - glad you are around to tell these stories 💗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back