Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
I'm sorry to hear that Gina is not as she was, Jim. Forcing a PALS -- well, anyone, to consistently wait for toileting is not acceptable.

I wish I could say that there is an additional Medicare benefit at 65, but there is not. Absent new health conditions that I hope she will never have, the care that Darcey needs is still considered "custodial" and not covered.

If it were me, I'd start interviewing new candidates. Or if it would not be catastrophic if Gina walked off with no notice, you might have a frank talk with her -- with all three of you present -- to try to understand if there is a root cause that is fixable.

Best,
Laurie

JimInVA

Forum Supporter
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Laurie,

You were right. There are "underlying issues". We've been treating her with kid-gloves of late and we were hoping that her vacation away from us, next week, would allow her some regeneration. Unfortunately, today she gave her notice. She has some health issues and the pain associated with those issues has apparently gotten to be too much. So we agreed that Monday would be her last day (I was going to give her Tuesday off as a paid day to get ready for her vacation on the 22nd thru the 27th, anyway).

Don't know what/how we'll make it all work, but I have ALWAYS managed to make things right. No reason to believe that I'll fall short, now. [MORE JIM GIVING JIM A PEP TALK! LOL]

Thinking of you, Max... IIWII !! :)

My best...

Jim

Narrowminded

Extremely helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Jim,

ive a lot to catch up on First and foremost I am thrilled that your back had healed nicely and you had a wonderful respite during that time.

I was going to write something else about Gina, but you popped in with the answer before I could. I’ll be praying the right person comes along. I def know how grueling the long days can be.

Maybe your son will stay an extra week or two while you find someone and get them up to speed.

You certainly have been blessed during your surgery and healing.

hugs

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
Jim I believe that a wonderful door to new help will open for you now. IIWII indeed and the acceptance of this helps us turn to embrace new things we didn't know were possible. 💗
In some ways it is good that she has resigned as it saves you working out what you should do.

JimInVA

Forum Supporter
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Poquoson
Sunday was to be Gina's last full day as it ended the week that she'd already been paid for. And she said that she would come in on Monday morning to give Darcey a sponge bath and a change of clothes. Gina normally arrives in the mornings by 9AM. This last Sunday, I didn't hear from her until 9:11AM when I received a text that said, "I think I have the flu." I texted back but didn't hear anything more until the next day when she texted again, "I am still running a fever."

We've had several quiet days with Gina gone. I've managed to do all of the toileting and some of the bedtime routines. I'm much more sore this week as I'm probably doing more than I should be. But Darcey, Jim and I have all seemed to be in really good moods.... with much laughter and tomfoolery going on.

Our friend Natalie came by on Monday to keep an eye on Darcey while Jim and I made a Costco run. We laughed that we were paying Nat to come watch Darcey (which she did for 4 hours) so we could go to the store to get the supplies that we needed for guests that we were having over for dinner the next night. John and I both have birthdays a few days apart in January... so we often do a January get-together to celebrate. Natalie and John are married... and were our Tuesday night dinner guests.

On Tuesday, Nat asked how we were doing with finding someone to fill in for Gina. We had one lead... but hadn't yet called that person to see if they still did home health care. Nat then said, "You know I've been working 4 hours a day for several years with a lady. Her care needs are changing so they won't be needing me anymore. If you'd like, I can fill in for the short-term until you can find someone else. And once you've retrained me (Nat helped in 2016 when I went to New York City to see David Gilmour with my son), I'll get Kim in to train as a backup (Kim also helped while I was gone in 2016)." Natalie will be coming in 3 days a week (as Gina had been before my surgery). Today was her first day (she's here, now).

So YAHOO!! Again, it has all worked out. Thank you all for listening! :)

My Best...

Jim

Jrzygrl

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
NJ
City
X
So happy for you, Jim! Sounds like a great arrangement!

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
I'm having a little cry Jim - I KNEW the right person was nearly ready to step in! so beautiful

vltsra

Distinguished member
Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Dear Jim, sounds like things are falling into place for you and Darcey. Good for you both. Hope you have some smooth sailing from here forward.

V

lgelb

Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Sounds like an upgrade -- glad things are coming together. All our best to Darcey.