For all U.S. Veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, here is the link;

Answer

I am posting on this thread again to get it back to the top. I am so curious to know if anyone knows exactly what this may mean?

You posted the link with the answers. What are you looking for?

To Jeff (zenarcher) and all others who are so active in the pursuit of veterans rights,THANK YOU! I was diagnosed 07-07 and had just retired,not yet 65 and without insurance.My wife and I were at wits end,when I was told by a good friend of the possibility of VA benefits.I inquired at my state VA office and a superb agent filed my paperwork a year ago.Last June I receieved 100% disabled and a back pay check to Oct. of 2008.We are currently applying for a SAHG.While this does'nt offset the fact that I have ALS,at least we can appreciate our time together with a more optimistic outlook!Again,THANK YOU! Karl

So far today there have been 5 phone calls to my home from one Alfred Miller. Oddly enough the phone number also turns out to be the contact number for a 24-7 Car Wash in the San Antonio area. You said you were a physician so I guess that's a side business. This of course was followed by an email of the post above.

Lyme disease does in about 5% of patients cause neurological symptoms. It also causes joint pain, numbness, tingling, headaches, flu-like symptoms all of which point away from ALS. In addition it acts to reduce reflexes which again points away from ALS.

You post this in a thread for veterans claiming that military personnel are more likely to be exposed to ticks. First let me say in my 5 years aboard aircraft carriers I never saw a tick. Let's for arguments sake say that individuals in the Army and Marines are more likely to get bitten. In a study done by Harvard University guess which two branches of service had the lowest relative risk of developing ALS. Yup, Army and Marines. As a matter of fact after correction the Marines were less likely than the general public.

Whether you were intentionally trolling or not a simple search of these forums would show that Lyme disease has been talked about again and again and again and again ... ad infinitum. Should people be checked of course but in my experience almost every PALS I've spoken with, myself included, has had a Western Blot.

Beyond that stop calling my home. I have no wish to speak with you and considering I'm experiencing bulbar symptoms you probably wouldn't understand me. There is no need to email me, I am perfectly capable of reading these forums.

:lol: I just read your chain of conversation and am giving you a virtual hug!

Thanks for the info on vets. My husband was diagnosed with ALS in 4/08 and is a veteran. We just recently found out that if you are 100% disabled with a service related illness (ALS) you should be exempt from all real estate taxes. We filed paperwork with our township and within 2 days were told we no longer need to pay ANY real estate taxes. This benefit also carries over to the survivor of an ALS patient. So, if you are a vet and haven't done so yet, contact your local town/city government and apply!
:smile:

Wow, Lin, that is great! Now if they would just do that for the mortgage too!

Most veterans with ALS and their families are aware of the educational benefit through the VBA/Federal govt, but please look into your state's veterans affairs educational benefit. The benefit is good for the veteran, spouse and dependent children up until age 23.

Here in Virginia, the state waives tuition at state schools, provides a semester stipend, provides a stipend for books and for housing. And the state benefit is good for the veteran, spouse and dependent children up to the age of 29.

When we got our adapted grant for our Van we were under the impression that the $11,000 was for the whole equipped van. Thank goodness we found out that the money is for the chassis only, and the VA will put all the adaptive equipment on it. Also, after 2 years we can sell the van, buy a new chassis, and the VA will put all the adaptive equipment on the new one again. We were able to get a 2008 Town and Country for a couple thousand out of pocket. HUGS Lori

We recently found out that some VA hospitals are inserting the Diaphragm Pacer. We requested an inter hospital referral to the VA in San Fran for a consult on this procedure. Our neuro requested it for us, and she said we should here from them in a week. We also requested the drug Modafinil for fatigue, and she wrote the script, but we have to wait for approval from upstairs. HUGS Lori

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back