03/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
Chateaugay
Hi

My mom has noticed recently her foot is turning in. This is in her weakest leg and it looks like it has a curve in it almost. Does anyone else have this ? She does have a brace but finds it very uncomfortable so she doesn't wear it all the time.

Dana

Not much help, but...

On Monday when I had my appointment at the clinic, my doctor had me walk across the room with my cane. After I did she pointed out something to her intern that had to do about my foot turning in. Of course I am not very good at stopping their conversation so I am not really sure what she said or what it meant, I don't know maybe something to do with the ankle muscles and balance (I have no idea)?

Ohh, I do know that I heard something about that I swing my leg out to the side as I walk, whatever that means?

I hate feeling like a "third wheel" when the neuro and an intern are talking between themselves, I never know what they are talking about with all the medical lingo! :roll:

Last edited:
As leg weakness sets in does anyone have their leg or foot turning outward?

yes, i have the foot turning as well in my left foot and think its due to spasms.
my left leg,ankle and foot are weaker. i do get alot of spasms and cramp in my left foot.

kevin, my left leg tends to swing for a bit then it gets tired easy and i end up dragging it.
i do have hypotonia/loss of contraction in that leg so for me the swinging and dragging explains that. also i can feel the muscles are looser,especially in the back of the legs.

Yeah, I've noticed my feet have turned out quite a bit.

For me, I think I've always been a little duck-footed and been a little self-conscious of it and been able to overcome it somewhat.

But now it's not possible 'cause my legs are too weak. Also, what difference does it make because when you use a cane nobody looks at your feet they look at the cane instead and instead of thinking "what a duck-foot" they think "what a gimp".

Did I mention I was a little self-conscious about it? :)

-Tom

My mom has not mentioned any spasms or cramping but the (left) weakest leg seems to be turning outward.

tfisher, yes--my right foot turns to the side and when I try to walk without my brace, I am walking on the outside of my right ankle. I can only take about 3 or 4 steps with my walker before I need to rest my foot. I am spending most of my time in a power chair now and use my walker only to help my balance while transferring.

My als started with balance problems and many falls, and finally I noticed weakness on my right foot. I couldn't rock back on my right heel--I couldn't wiggle my toes and I noticed muscle atrophy on that foot.

I was fitted with an orthotic brace soon after my diagnosed, but I didn't like wearing it, but was very glad to have it after my ankle gave way--can't keep my foot flat on the ground at all, even wear it in the shower!

My legs as i call them "chicken wings" have a total mind of there own. My right leg rolls completely out to the right as is completely felxable. My left is stiff as a board when straight and i need help bending it if in bed.

Yes dldred , my right leg is my weakest and when I'm tired I tend to have to drag it and it's been turning in for the last month . My physio referred me to orthoptics for a leg brace to help .

My left foot flops to the side as well when I walk, which is why I try to wear my AFO brace as much as possible. The left foot and ankle are weak, but I also have a LOT of spasticity and clonus in that leg and that really compounds the walking problems. Overall balance problems also contributes to the problem, and I always have my cane or walker handy.

Last edited:
Fatigue and stress

Yes dldred , my right leg is my weakest and when I'm tired I tend to have to drag it and it's been turning in for the last month . My physio referred me to orthoptics for a leg brace to help .

Fatigue and stress play a big part in my walking problems as well.

My right foot, which is my weakest of the two turns in. I love my braces...my kids call them my shin guards. Hey..just a question, how long did it take you all to notice that is moved from one foot to the other?

My left foot has turned in quite a bit and now the leg is kind of turning. Makes my knee hurt sometimes. Got much, much worse after I stopped walking. Now that I can't stand at all it is very noticible. I don't wear my AFO's anymore. Should I try to keep it straight? Is it going to cause additional problems?

Hi Momma , I thought I caught my other foot doing it this morning , didn't think an more of it til you mentioned it , I'll let you know . I go to orthotics on the 21st Sept for a foot brace for my right foot . xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back