Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
London
Hi there, wondering if I should be worried or your thoughts on this. I am awaiting an EMG and doing physio.
approx 7 months ago I noticed when I walk for about 30 minutes I start to get a “foot slap” only happens if I do not take breaks and walk fast the entire time, I can make it the rest of the way home with my foot slapping down and it resolves after resting for a short period. I haven’t tested strength after my walk but normally I can walk on my heels, toes and balance on one foot. Could this be a early sign of ALS?

what did your doctor say about ALS?

just mentioned could be a nerve and that’s why he ordered the EMG and instructed to do physio. did not mention ALS .. I just have read about foot slapping and ALS

Foot slapping is generally a sign of foot drop. The most common case of foot drop by far is a nerve injury. There are many other causes far more likely than ALS. if you can walk on your heels and toes after 7 months that is also positive because ALS is progressive. The emg will almost certainly include a nerve conduction test so that should help diagnose the problem

Better walking shoes or insoles can often help as well! Our feet change as we get older.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back