Reason
PALS
Country
uni
State
unknown
City
unknown
I am sorry to start another new thread- I Just have a few questions that I am hoping some of you can answer. What is the difference in how ALS and MS present themselves? What exactly is foot drop? I have dents in my ankles that were not there before and I feel like my ankles turn more inward then they used to- what does that mean?

The reason I ask about MS is because I have had bladder issues, and I am wondering if that is charachteristic of ALS or just of MS? In fact all of this started with pain upon urination that has not gone away. I then had horrible floaters that have gone away. I then had an eye twitch that came and went, leaving all over twitches that have not gone away. Now a few months later it is harder to eat/breathe (but nothing insurmountable or entirely constant). Over the past few days I have noticed such tightening in my upper arms and lower legs where most of the fasics are. I am wondering if this is common to any of you and you can tell me what it might mean?

Foot drop is when you can't raise your feet towards you when standing up.They stay firmly flat!When stting down and resting legs, the feet have an exaggerated arch and the toes curl.
Bladder problems are not a feature of ALS, except in the fact that it can be quite difficult to get the bathroom because of mobility problems and later on because of being unable to support the body's weight when sitting.If you are getting pain when urinating, you should see a doctor as you might have a urinary tract infection and need antibiotics.
Best wishes
Jean

The shin muscle atrophies and doesn't lift the front of the foot when walking. Then you stumble. Hopefully you don't fall.
AL.

Yes Al and also call foot drag , Very well put Some of my biggest falls have been from the foot dragging when it shouldnt .Then the poor balance sets you up for a Big one .Im just getting over a big one .Where my cheek met the wall .Geo OUCH

foot drop and shoulder atrophy

I have sholder atrophy and foot drop for about two months. I am tweenty years of age. I have been seen by two neurologist and both deny ALS with sureness. I wonder is this because they don't want to worry. What do you all think?

I think if your foot drop gets to the point where it happens all the time, then it will happen during office visits too and that will become one more piece of the puzzel. there are no tests for ALs so doctors rely on a vareity of things. They have to be able to see the weakness and muscle atrophy in all 4 limbs and they have to be able to document it on emgs and nerve conduction tests. And even if the above criteria is proven they then have to rule out all of the many other causes that could cause weakness and atrophy.

It is a long process. Some of us have been at it for months. Some waited years to know for sure. My doc says the longer it takes to get a DX the getter off we are, I suppose because slowly moving symptoms mean a better chance at having a slower moving MND. And a slow-moving MND is way better than one that gallops to the intended end.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back