Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Id.
City
baskerville
Hello all, I have been reading through the forum all night. Some amazing people here.

I have some questions of concern. About four nights ago I took a walk after a few beers and noticed my foot feeling strange. I didn't think much of it because my foot seemed fine earlier in the day. The next morning I woke up and it still felt wierd. I noticed I could only lift the front part of my left foot slightly. So I went online and discovered this could be foot drop. Could this come on suddenly like this? I became very concerned when it said a cause could be ALS, because my father has been battling this disease for the last ten years. I am in my 30's and there is no other person in our family that has been known to have the disease. Could this be the hereditary version of ALS with no past history other than my father.

I started getting twitches in my legs and feet ever since I read about the other symptoms of ALS. My leg also feels cramped, but I have been obsessing on it and tightening my calf to see if there has been any loss of muscle, which there doesn't seem to be. I am a bit of a neurotic and have told a few friends and they seem to think I am freaking out over nothing, but this foot thing has me scared. Also, last night I had a couple of drinks and I couldn't lift my other foot at all, but today it is back to almost normal. My left foot still feels the same as it did four nights ago. I am driving myself crazy and haven't been able to sleep. Can foot drop come and go? I am thinking of going to a doctor this week to see what he has to say.

Any answers or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Definately go to a doctor and get some peace of mind. Perhaps your Dad's condition is making you extra anxious. And if you're on the internet looking to learn more about him try not to apply it to yourself. Maybe another family member can pick up the research role for awhile? BTW, your Dad is doing relatively well if he's had ALS for ten years! If he or his caregivers ever need support or information, this is a great place. good luck, Cindy

Thanks Cindy. My Dad is doing really well for having it for over ten years now. I am amazed at his ability to cope and still enjoy life. He always says NEVER GIVE UP and he hasn't lost his sense of humor through it all. I am surprised he is not already on this forum because it seems like a great place for support. I will let him know about the caring people here.

I definitely will see a doctor soon and hope that there is another cause of my foot problems and the twitching. It has me freaking out!:confused:

Hey Plonk and Cindy,

Actually I have also been reading the "drop foot" thread and still confused whether I have it or not; It is like sometimes I walk normally but once the road incline I start walking slowly in an abnormal way (more like jumping from one foot to the other) feeling like my feet are falling very fast to the floor, I also have it when I climb down the stairs so I do it very slowly.
Don't know if this is what you are experiencing Plonk, but with me it has been progressing very slowly and now it is more or less stable and stress is one of the major factors that affects my walks.

Omar

If I am tired I trip on air. My right toe falls and I go down like a ton of bricks. I find myself lifting my leg higher at each step so the toes don't trip me up. And my ankle is weaker if I an over-tired.

Try this test that the Doc at the ALS clinic gave me: try walking on your heels. If you're ready for an ankle brace, you won't be able to do it. Of you can do it, go enjoy the fact that you still have helathy feet and ankles. Just be sure to watch your step if you are tired or wearing heavy shoes. Cindy

Foot Drop

plonk said:
Hello all, I have been reading through the forum all night. Some amazing people here.

I have some questions of concern. About four nights ago I took a walk after a few beers and noticed my foot feeling strange. I didn't think much of it because my foot seemed fine earlier in the day. The next morning I woke up and it still felt wierd. I noticed I could only lift the front part of my left foot slightly. So I went online and discovered this could be foot drop. Could this come on suddenly like this? I became very concerned when it said a cause could be ALS, because my father has been battling this disease for the last ten years. I am in my 30's and there is no other person in our family that has been known to have the disease. Could this be the hereditary version of ALS with no past history other than my father.

I started getting twitches in my legs and feet ever since I read about the other symptoms of ALS. My leg also feels cramped, but I have been obsessing on it and tightening my calf to see if there has been any loss of muscle, which there doesn't seem to be. I am a bit of a neurotic and have told a few friends and they seem to think I am freaking out over nothing, but this foot thing has me scared. Also, last night I had a couple of drinks and I couldn't lift my other foot at all, but today it is back to almost normal. My left foot still feels the same as it did four nights ago. I am driving myself crazy and haven't been able to sleep. Can foot drop come and go? I am thinking of going to a doctor this week to see what he has to say.

Any answers or comments would be greatly appreciated.

My first symptoms, started with foot drop & husky voice, which I thought were two separate problems. no Dr ever did connected the two. The foot drop was Dx back trouble hence an operation, still had the foot drop. Now I wear the brace & can no longer talk. I understand there are many other things that could cause foot drop. By all means see a Dr. All the best EM

One of my first symptoms was foot drop. I tripped a couple of times. When I first saw a neurologist he asked me to stand on my heels (raise my toes off the ground). I couldn't do it. I was amazed.
Things have gone downhill from there I am sorry to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back