00/0000
Country
UK
State
CL
City
Stockton-On-Tees
Hi all

My story is i have been constantly twitching in my calfs 24/7 for the past 4 weeks now, and in that time i have been told by 3 different people that they have noticed me dragging my right foot (where i get about 60+ twinges a minute). When people tell me this i am not sure if i have self conciously been walking like this to avoid putting full pressure on that leg as it feels crampy when i walk sometimes so i kinda get scared to walk on it properly i think in case i feel that pain because it will only set my mind off again.

anyways ofcourse this has got me thinking about drop foot, now i have not tripped up at all and i have done all the tests, ie walking on heals, standing on one leg, running up and down stairs and moving my anke around and it all seems fine BUT i have noticed when i walk i feel like a strain in my right calf and was woundering if this is how drop foot first presents itself?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All

Chris

Foot drop usually presents itself as a slapping noise when you walk. The shin muscle deteriorates and lets the front of the foot drop or slap the ground. Eventually it will catch and then you stumble.

AL.

One of my issues is with my left foot. I have had the slapping sound Al described for over a year, especially noticeable when walking for more than 15 minutes, have been tripping over uneven ground or carpets for maybe 9 months, have been scuffing the bottom of my foot for about 4 months (not every step by any means, but enough to notice), and have only recently (past 2 months) started tripping by stubbing the toe...those send me flying (jammed my finger, banged my arm, ouch!) But I can walk on my heels and on my toes. I can only wear sensible shoes. I believe I am progressing to a foot drop situation, but am crossing my fingers. Walking for more than 15 minutes produces a calf burn in left calf; it is exactly the feeling one gets if you jog without stretching. Only with jogging you jog through it and it goes away after leg warms up. For me, it doesn't go away. It is tight and sore and burning. Once that starts the walking issues are pretty noticeable to any observer.

Lydia

Lydia- do you get shin splints like you used to get while jogging, just from walking a short distance, like the length of the driveway or walking around the grocery store? I have never heard anyone else complain of this...

Hi Cindy, I used to use the term 'shin splints' to describe a painful feeling in my shins way back when I played soccer in high school. I can't remember what it felt like at all now, but remember that it didn't go away when I stopped running or left practice. It hung around for days, I think. The feeling I am describing now as a burning stops as soon as I stop walking (but note, by 'walking' I mean walking at a good pace. Strolling, like in the grocery store, does not bring it on. Hurrying to class because I am late does).

Maybe this description is better: I had a personal trainer for a few years (3x a week) who was sadistically pleased when I said, "make me strong". He used to have me lift a weight to the point of muscle exhaustion. In other words, he wouldn't have me lift a lighter weight in 3 sets, for 15 times each set (like he did with all the other girls :)). Oh no, he would have me lift the heavier weight until I couldn't anymore, maybe I would make it to ten times if I was lucky. The feeling I experience now in my calf when walking fast is just like how my arm or thigh would feel on the last 2 or 3 lifts before I could go no further. That kind of burn. And now, just like then, even though the burn goes away as soon as I stop moving, the calf/arm/leg would be jelly-like, tired, wobbly. When I said it doesn't go away in my earlier reply, I meant that even if I kept walking the burning wouldn't go away; that I couldn't "walk through it".

I have felt this same feeling holding a cell phone to my ear and holding a magazine up to read, but not as often. I think of it as muscle exhaustion because of the language my trainer used and I don't know a better term for it...

Chris...

Have you ever heard of CMT? Charcot Marie Tooth? Foot Drop is one of the major symptoms, along with flat or high arches...also curled toes. It's a type of neuropathy. there are over 18 variations. You may want to look into that, especially if you pronate when you walk/run or have a family history of foot/neuropathy problems. This can be hereditary.

Thanks i will look into that but if i am getting footdrop and there is constant twithing there then i know its not looking good :(

foot drop

Particularly to Chris:
Rick has ALS and it doesn't sound to me like you do. At least not conclusive because of your twitches and condition of your feet. He can't possibly walk on his heels at all, neither can he walk up on tiptoe. They are two of the tests the neurologist gave him long ago. He cannot squat, nor return to a stand from a squat... he cannot bend down and retrieve things from the floor.... he cannot get up from a low chair... and he is beginning to have foot drop.
When he sits in his recliner, with his feet propped, his toes point to the opposite wall. He cannot hold his feet at a right angle, perpendicular, to his legs. When he walks, he puts the front of his foot down before his heel, even walking downhill. On uneven ground especially, like grass or gravel, he stumbles and staggers, and loses his balance. The reflexes on his feet are not normal, but overactive.
There are many reasons for twitches. Rick has twitches along with deterioration of the muscle mass. Dimpled skin remains where a mass of muscle once was. I overwork at a warehouse, with long 12 hour shifts on my feet, and I overexert myself cutting open over 1000 heavy boxes a day. I get twitches at the end of my day too.
I hope this has helped you. Good luck and best wishes. M

yes this not only helps me but puts what i worry about into so much perspective. Ofcourse i will still worry but i must realise what other people go through on here and i am so sorry for my selfishness at times.

Thank you so much for responding

Chris

hello everyone

my left foot slaps down and i occasionally trip with that foot.
i have some atrophy in the left foot/ankle,also my pt tells me my arch has collapsed in that foot as well.
all these problems i put down to the fact i have hypotonia/loss of contraction in my left lower leg.
when i walk it takes more effort to move it,when i take a step my foot slaps down hard then when i lift the left leg to take a step with the right,the left lower leg swings back.
put all this with the balance ,stiffness and hip girdle weakness when i walk it looks like i am doing some crazy funky chicken dance in slow motion lol.
chris..........your problems are your own and effect you so dont apologise.
take good care.
caroline:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back