Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
XX
City
Dublin
(note- this user has been banned for multi-id)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post.
I am needing help in that I am having issues with my left leg. My foot is weak and I have noticed that the arch of my left foot has become high (its very noticeable) and there is a weakness up my leg from my foot to my calf and what feels on the outside of my leg. This has been going on about 2 months I have had peroneal nerve damage (told it was bruised) before a number of years ago from an impact issue. I went to my GP and he looked at it but couldn't make anything out as such and said previous nerve damage wouldn't be a factor now in his opinion.
He has referred me to a neurologist for Nerve Conduction and EMG because he wasn't sure about what was going on as I have strength in my foot still as he got me to walk on my heels and my toes which I could do and tested my toe strength which also was fine.
I suppose my problem is that my testing with the neurologist isn't scheduled until January 22 which is 4 months away. I don't know how I can last that long with waiting to get some answers. Im finding this pretty stressful I am based in Ireland and this is how our health system works, he is getting me an MRI of my back but I think that's just to be seen to getting something done quicker.
Any ideas about this would be great and I appreciate the time and effort gone into reading and if anyone replies

Last edited by a moderator:
High arch raises Charcot Marie Tooth in my mind not ALS. Read about it

Thank you for your reply, I will look into that, I suppose the arch high I thought was atrophy and that got me worried, i am thinking the muscles are wasting in my left foot. GP didnt say anything about it

Things have moved on now quickly as such in one way, got my MRI and was lucky to have a Neurosurgeon look at it immediately. MRI said i have small disc bulges L2 to L5 with L4 nerve root been impinged on the left which is the foot I am having an issue with and mild spinal canal and bilateral neural exit foraminal narrowing both in L3-L4 and L4-L5 but said it needed no treatment and it was normal for my age and recommended nothing and said nothing in regard to symptoms i presented with.
GP got me back in and looked again at my leg, this time he did mention muscle loss in left foot arch and saw twitching in my lower left leg not in the calf but under it between the calf and ankle joint on the inside of the leg. I can feel them at rest now myself and they when I look are like big dents that appear. He again did a few strength tests on legs toes, I can walk on my heels/toes etc and said they were fine and also did reflex tests on knee and ankle and said they were fine but I know from the loss of muscle in my foot I lack the power I had to push off on.
I am still waiting for the nerve tests which are mid Jan but just from the above would anyone have any ideas about what is going on especially with the combination of twitching and losing muscle in the area just above it.
GP I feel still thinks it is to do with my back but he didn't say for sure I am just reading between the lines as all he said he was surprised by the fact the neurosurgeon said nothing at all but now he is now getting me to go to a neurologist to do a clinical exam outside of the nerve testing as he agrees that 4 months is too long to wait without some kind of answers to what this may be. I dont know yet when that will be but hopefully quickly. Thanks for spending the time to read this and I hope all are as well as can be at this present time

No idea what is going on, but if you are asking does ALS present like this, the answer is a resounding no.
It doesn't sound like you actually have any symptoms beyond twitching and muscle dents, which really could mean absolutely nothing or be related to the back issue they are looking into.

Let us know after you see the neurologist, but any questions in the meantime are best taken to your GP as they can examine you. All the best, you just need to work with your doctors, and we have no doctors here.

We tend to be conservative with the idea of back surgery, so it's not surprising that the neurosurgeon didn't rush to put you on the table (and you would always want a second opinion if they said you should be). It can be unnecessary or make things worse.

Symptoms don't always match exactly with the degree of abnormality seen on MRI. That is just the way it is. Your body isn't exactly like anyone else's, and MRIs can't see everything.

You can ask about PT while you wait for the EMG. But agreed nothing you have said sounds like ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your time to respond, its very kind of you both lgelb and affected. I dont know who you are but my thoughts are with you.

Sorry about this but since my last post I have been getting a strange feeling in my left lower arm from my forearm down to my index finger and thumb. Its a mixture or heaviness/tiredness and what feels like slight burning into index / thumb area from my just under my wrist into that area but its nothing specific. Just on the back of the other symptoms Im now worried again as I still don't have a date for a neurologist appointment. It has gradually come on over the last week or so. if I close or open my fist my whole forearm gets a dull ache and my hand just gets exhausted very quickly in comparison to my right hand. Thanks you again and I apoligise for wasting anyone's time

banned for multi id- get help for anxiety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a local nerve injury possibly down to overuse or sleeping on your hand/arm. Again nothing to do with ALS but a reason to seek out physio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back