Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Myers
Is it recommended that people with ALS get the flu shot? My husband is not a fan of the flu shot, but now that he has ALS, I am thinking it might be a good idea for him to get one. The last thing he needs is to get the flu! Also, I was wondering the same thing about the new Swine flu vaccine that is going to be available?

I got a flu shot last year just to be safe. It was kind of funny standing in line with all of the seniors at the seniors drop in clinic (I was 53 at the time and the only one there besides the nurses that wasn't gray haired). I decided that I couldn't handle the flu as a common cold had me in bed for a week with a handkerchief in one hand and my the hose for my suction machine in the other. I would (and will) be getting the flu shot this fall. As far as the H1N1 flu shot goes if it is available I will probably get that too although I do have some worries about a rushed vaccine.

According to the ALS Association:

"Flu shots are highly recommended by ALS physicians for people living with ALS, their caregivers and anyone who comes in regular contact with a person living with ALS."

So, hope_faith, I think that means you, too!

Also, I've read that it's a good idea to get a pneumonia shot every 5 years. Got mine last year.

-Tom

Hello Hope , I usually have it every year due to being severe asthmatic , I had the pneumonia one too . I will ask my neuro team about it this year , and they will probably say it's safe to have the jab rather than risking flu .

Oh yeah, I just remembered that I had the pneumonia shot last year too!

Yeah, our team recommended flu shots for all. Remember that it's a three step deal this year: "regular" flu shot now, H1N1 in October, with a follow up for that. .

We were talking about it at support group one night, and that H1N1 was strongly recommended for high risk groups. Delightful 80 year old lady who was recently diagnosed and one would never spot as PALS asks "What's a high risk group?" 30 something totally wheel chair bound with peg & trach young man (who is a delight) exasperatedly, "Us!"

Hi-- I just wrote a newspaper article about the H1N1 virus (previously called swine flu) and the vaccine is recommended for people with weakened immune systems, lung and heart disease (which would include respiratory insufficiency), diabetes, and other illnesses. The vaccine for seasonal flu also is recommended for this group.

If you are unable to get the H1N1 vaccine through your doctor's office, check with your local municipal Health Department, as they should be running clinics offering this vaccine, which is free (in the U.S.). There is a nasal mist vaccine available for both types of influenza.

I am not sure what those of us who are having problems but are undiagnosed should do, but will ask about this when I see the neurologist at Mass. General Hospital in Boston on 9/29.

Here in Massachusetts, doctors are recommending that people get the regular seasonal flu shot now, as it is available, and then the H1N1 in October, followed by an H1N1 booster a month later. That said, H1N1 is already afoot nationally and in some parts of the U.S. is fairly widespread, so everyone should practice good hygiene even before getting the vaccine. Wash your hands as much as possible, avoid being around sick people, cough/sneeze into your elbow, try not to touch doorknobs, etc. when exiting restrooms. If someone in your household gets the flu, you might also consider wearing a facial mask, if you can tolerate it. stuff like that.

Hope you are all spared a bout of either type of flu.

Sandra

Thank you everyone for your input. My husband will definitely be getting a flu shot as well as myself, our son and all our family members who have regular contact with my husband. I appreciate all the useful info!

I get the flu shot and did the pneumonia as well. I'll get the H1N1 as well. I woke with sore throat and plugged up ear Thurs. and went to doc for antibiotics. Can't be too careful.

AL.

I never had flu shot in my life, but will ask my ALS team and my dr.

There is discussion about flu vaccine on the CIDP forum. No real answers surfacing from what I have read as the group is split down the middle about whether to take it or not. Some say their neurologists have posted signs saying "do not take flu vaccine". One interesting post said that people who take IVIG shouldn't take it as it is ineffective if you take IVIG. A number of members on the forum attribute their first attack of GBS or CIDP to having taken flu vaccine. One has to wonder as so many neuromuscular disorders have patients subjectively reporting onset of symptoms following severe infection or following vaccinations. Also, I was interested to read that Beth talked about an ALS drug trial coming up that puts PALS on antibiotics. So there must be questions marks about ALS being viral/bacterial in origin.
Laurel

The MDA is partnering with Walgreen's pharmacy to provide free flu shots to PALS:

Flu Shots - ALS Services - Welcome to MDA's ALS Division

MDA Partners with Walgreens to Provide FREE Flu Shots

Seasonal influenza can be particularly hazardous to people with neuromuscular diseases, which is why MDA includes flu inoculations among the many important services provided to those we serve.

With the 2009/2010 flu season just a few months away, we’re delighted to announce that MDA will once again partner with Walgreens to help make standard influenza vaccines more convenient and accessible.

While vaccinations will not be available to the general public until mid-September, interested individuals may contact their local MDA office and request to have their name added to a list to receive a flu shot voucher. You may obtain your local MDA office information by referring to the following zip code locator Web page on the ALS-MDA site: MDA Local Office Locator - Welcome to MDA's ALS Division

Once the inoculations are available, vouchers will be sent to individuals we serve who’ve requested one. The voucher can then be redeemed by the individual at a local Walgreens or Walgreens-designated provider.

This is for the regular flu shot I think, not H1N1 (swine) flu.

Laurel-

If the trial Beth talked about is the Ceftriaxone trial, it is being looked at not for the antibiotic properties, but a side-effect that was noted. It may increase the level of protein that decreases glutamate levels near nerves. Some studies suggest it may protect motor neurons.

I saw this somewhere & now, for the life of me, I can't find where. So, I can't give exact
references or particular study. I just have it in my notes.

Re: Laurel-

Thanks Mare. Sounds interesting and with potential to help.
Laurel

in the uk the H1N1 shot is available in october for kids,pensioners,chronic ill and pregnant women.
i have never had the flu shots before but will do from now on.
i did get swine flu several weeks back but have never fully recovered since,even got flu and chest infection two weeks ago again but i can not get over it and still have a temprature.
i guess my immune system is very very low right now,some of my symptoms have been made worse.

please everyone get the flu shots and your carers also:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back