Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
Us
State
Virginia
City
Carrollton
In January my wife and I got the flu even though we both had our flu shots. She spent 3 days in the hospital.

Until yesterday we had been unable to get this year's flu shot for my wife because she is bed bound and our home care has stopped.

Several contacts including our very goog PImary Care Physican (PCP) did not have a solution although our PCP did agree to give her the shot in our car if we could get her to the office.

Yesterday I got my shot at our pharmacy and the Pharmacist (after hearing about our situation) agreed to come to our house and give my wife her flu shot.

I'm relaying the story so others can know that this is an option and to also give accolades to the Pharmacist and Pharmacy who gave us the Rite Aid when we were in need.

YES. By all means, ask for services to come to the patient.

One day, I walked into a lawyer's office, and when the staff told me to make an appointment, I said, "My wife may not live that long." The next day, the lawyer and her staff visited my PALS at home and did all the paperwork, signatures, witnesses, etc. They were really happy to have done something good for someone who truly needed it.

Plus, when we needed a van, the dealer brought 3 different models to our house on three different days, so my PALS could wheel into them and try them out in our neighborhood.

It is always worth asking. I'm glad your pharmacist came through for you, Ernie.

In some cities, the senior services department publishes a list of services that will come to you. It's worth a call.

I just want to add encouragement for all P/CALS to get a flu shot by Halloween.

Definitely ask Consider asking your pcp too

If you still go to clinic and have an appointment coming up check to see if there is a flu shot clinic happening at the hospital. Last year I had an October appointment and saw one going on in the lobby

All;

It appears that the problem for us is bigger than just flu shots.

Several issues discussed with our local ALS clinic have lingered with no action for several weeks:

no reimbursement for hospital bed even though Dr. has said it definetly should be covered by Medicare;

no action on home care for flu shots and drawing blood sample;

no help in getting replacement input ports for feeding tube;

Fortunately our ALS support organization has just gotten involved and these issues are being resolved.

We learned yesterday that the ALS clinic nurse that we were working with is being replaced. Evidently she was not doing her job and we were part of that fall out.

Hope the support organization can work out all the kinks, Ernie! Hoping for a better nurse at the clinic, too. It really only takes one person in the wrong spot sometimes to make a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back