Flu Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Trying to talk my wife into getting it.

I won't unless Sandy will -- can't take the pain alone !

I thought it was 5,000 of us died each year and there are 30,000 currently living with ALS. It is supposed to be pretty rare. I did not look up the numbers, just what thye said at support group last week.

I get a pneumonia shot every five years or so and have never had pneumonia. Unfortunately the shots only protect against the standard type of pneumonia that can be passed from person to person. PALS are susceptible to pneumonia caused by choking on and inhaling (aspirating) food or saliva or less common stains of pneumonia. Psuedomonas is a common part of our environment, existing in dirt and water. It is an "opportunistic" infection that only gets bad enough to cause problems when our immune systems are not working well. Many people have it and never know it. BiPAP users and trached and vented people generally pick up pseudomonas at some point, possibly from drinking and aspirating water, from the water in a vase of flowers where it can flourish, from the water in their humidifier, from another person, especially during hospitalization. There are some antibiotics that work well if pseudomonas does flare up, but none seem to be able to eradicate it entirely. It hides out or goes dormant waiting for a compromise in the immune system to let it flare up again.

Bottom line: Definitely ask your doctor which pneumonia shot or shots to get and get flu and pneumonia shots, but be aware that PALS are prone to types of pneumonia that the shots can't prevent.

Thank you all, especially Diane for the extra info. Guess I'll get the flu shot next week. Will ask again about pneumonia shots.

KrnNdug, you set me straight. I just remembered the 30,000 number.

I wasn't sure, but I for sure got my flu shot yesterday

Our doctor had my PALS get a pneumonia shot and a flu shot. She didn't insist that the whole family get the flu shot, though.

There are definitely 2 types of pneumonia vaccine. Get both. Also getting a flu shot doesnt mean you wont get the flu. If you do get it the symptoms wont be as bad.

> If you do get it the symptoms wont be as bad.

.but see your pcp asap as minor stuff gets out of control really fast in an ALS body :-(

.but see your pcp asap as minor stuff gets out of control really fast in an ALS body

aint that the truth!
When I go to my Dr. now I wait out in the hall until its my turn so as not to be exposed to sick people-feel like the bubble boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back