Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
So the latest supplements my PALS is convinced will cure his ALS are the "Leap2BFit" powders and L-Serine touted by Mark Manchester, who supposedly reversed his ALS. I've done a little digging and took a look at his facebook page and website. His facebook page is supposedly a "charity" that looks an awful lot like an advertisement for Leap2BFit supplements. He is fundraising on the page through PayPal, then claiming he is funding peoples' supplements. He also has a link where you can post your testimonials showing your dramatic improvement on this supplement. Claims his FVC went from 7% to 79% thanks to this supplement, and was vented and is now off the vent. He claims that Dr. Bedlack is evaluating Leap2BFit. I read Bedlack's evaluation and it doesn't come off as a recommendation.

I also checked out his website (another fundraising site) where he claims "We have currently gifted over 300 pALS and, after a recent survey of pALS gifted, %51.7 have reported slowing of progress or improvement".

I did see the thread here on the forum from last year discussing this supplement. I just paid my PALS' $400 credit card bill for this stuff. There must be money changing hands on this. I smell a rat here.

V

I am very sorry you are having to deal with this.

An inability to accept that ALS is a progressive disease can lead a PALS to make irrational decisions.

If you have not yet seen it, be sure to check out the now-closed thread about Leap2BFit at Leap2bfit

That thread does a good job of discrediting the claims. Also, ALS Untangled has an article on Leap2BFit. Their conclusion is "we do not currently recommend LEAP2BFIT as a way to slow, stop, or reverse ALS ".

There is no doubt in my mind that Leap2BFit is simply an outrageous scam.

If your PALS' ability to make sound financial decisions is impaired, it may indicate a mental degradation worthy of investigation. It is possible that you will need to remove his authority to spend money.

Steve

Last edited:
If something sounds too good to be true, then likely it is. There are a number of scam “cures” you can read about here and on ALSUntangled.

so sorry V - as if all that you are both going through isn't enough, having to wade through scam sites and find your PALS being sucked in is just awful.

Thanks for your responses. My PALS isn't irrational. Just still wants to hang on to a bit of denial and is willing to try anything. What makes me angry is that people are willing to take advantage of PALS this way, and my PALS has always been one to believe in supplements. Making money off people at their most vulnerable.

V

Exactly V, and instead of just concentrating on him, you are having to wade through and try to figure out how much scam is involved and how much he will be let down when it doesn't work. These are a special breed of bad people for sure.
(I don't think it was said that your PALS Is irrational, just that it has ended up a poor decision)

I agree, it's contemptible, V, and there are people with their hands out in every devastating disease. If you can relate the grifters in ALS to those in whatever business or industry your husband was in, you might make a dent. But if this is what he wants and can afford, it may help him mentally, though not his prognosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back