Country
US
State
WA
City
Cheney
Hey all, thank you for taking peek.

I am a 23 year old male.
I have been body wide twitching for the past 5 years (2015).

In September 2018 I started having obstructive sleep apnea, which is strange because I am considered normal weight(150 lbs).

But in November 2019 I noticed that I chocked on saying a word just one time.

Now recently in the past months since about June 2020, ive been noticing that this has now been happening more frequently.
I am having more trouble saying words that contain n and m, making my voice sound hyponasal. Ex: "I think" => "I thig". This seems to happen more often when I am really tired. But I can be really drunk and hold a full conversation like normal. I just dont get this.
I do not slur my words but this manifestation is become more frequent.

Just recently I have had this funny feeling (when you sleep on a limb, and try to move it feeling) in my right hand, especially when I make a form resembling a pinch. This is exaggerated by cold weather, and makes my hand feel stupid (making it hard to use them).

Also I have noticed that food flavors leak up past my soft palate since August 2020. For example eating something spicy will always make me sneeze (this has never occurred before).

Probably irreverent things I wanted to point out:
My reflexes appear to by hyper-reflexive, when someone touches my shoulders or neck I jerk as if I was startled but I was not. Slightly bumping my knee into an object makes it react.

I frequently dream vividly of me eating foods that I enjoy and I can actually taste them.
I also frequently have recurring dreams of people I have met in the past that I would have not ever thought of ever again.

I have a doctors appointment next Thursday to address my sleep apnea for the 1st time.

I know it should be extremely unlikely for ALS given my age but the speech thing and the soft palate thing are the really worrisome symptoms to me. I will share these concerns to my doctor when I walk into his office.

Past thread here:

Hi there- it's not super clear if you've read Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

So much of what you've listed here, while certainly very concerning for you, does not point in the direction of ALS. Particularly how long you've been experiencing issues. If it were ALS, you would be very compromised by now. I think you will be reassured by your doctor as well. It's good you are finally getting your apnea addressed and I am sure this will help. Please let us know how it goes after your appointment in a week.

All the best

Last edited:
Hello heres a minor update,

I just got out of my doctors office for sleep apnea, he has referred me to a study center and for the meantime has put me on trazodone.

I did mention my speech issues and like any normal doctor would say: it can be a neurological disorder. I will be referred to a speech therapist within a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back