Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Maine
City
Owls Head
I've been reading the forums for a while now and finding relief that I'm not the only one feeling like I'm feeling! I'm happy to have finally gotten my activation code so I can now ask questions and join the discussions.

This is my first time to post also. I have so many questions and concerns and I am hopeful that interacting with others experiencing these issues will be helpful to me. My first question is why these disease seems to be so aggressive? My mother has gone from walking, talking and functioning normally 11 weeks ago, and now cannot even dress herself and her speech is so slurred that we cannot even understand her. I was under the impression that ALS was not that "fast". Please let me know if you have experienced this as well. Thanks so much.

Me too, Me too! Took forever to get the activation email.

Hi usntron
I was just diagnosed with this disease a week ago and am trying to make sense of it all, including the ALSforums. Hope things go well for you. Keep in touch
Pat4t

Welcome to the forum, y'all. Hopefully you will find lots of answers to your questions here.

Mimi, to answer your question: ALS affects everyone differently. However, your mother's progression does seem quite aggressive. How old is she and has she had symptoms for a long while?

Hi to everyone new. Sorry you have to be here but you have found a great place for all your questions.

Mimi, my husband was diagnosed Aug 30 this year. He went from a little shaking in his hands in April to head on his chest, and muscle loss in legs and arms by Aug.

Now he is in a wheelchair / bed, needs a lift to get him in and out of both and can no longer use his arms or hands at all. He is only 57 yrs old.

It is a disease that affects everyone differently.

Just know that you have a lot of support here and can find answers to most of your questions.

My husband's first symptoms were shortness of breath and difficulty with fine motor skills in his hands. A year and a half later he has to use a walker (be in a wheelchair shortly), cannot use his hands to do anything, and cannot walk 2 feet without gasping for air. Yes, the progression and symptoms are far ranging.

Finally got my activation today too!After many months I can finally ask questions that I cannot find answers to.I have been reading posts for months now and and so much bette informed about this disease,there are things going on with my husbands progression with als that arent written in books or in articles that i have reasearche.its good to have the support!

Welcome to all you new members, even though none of us like the fact that we're here for a bad reason, the folks here are amazing... please ask, listen, yell, scream, laugh and join the rest of us on this trip.

I am lucky that my progression is slow, though I don't walk without a walker anymore... check out the clinical trials, and remain positive. Live your life. I choose to believe that I am living with ALS, not dying from it... at least not for a while!

Good luck to all of you. You've found a great place for information and support

Welcome to you all. So sorry for why you are here.Everyone here is wonderful, Loving and truely careing. We are on this journey together, trying to help one another make it the best we can. Big Hugs to all!

Welcome to the group. I hope you find both some answers and much support here.

Welcome to the new members but sorry you had to come looking for us. I have no idea why some memberships took so long. A confirmation email is usually sent within a half hour of signing up. Sometimes it may go to your spam or trash folder depending on your security settings. We have had a few strange things going on with the email but it's an Outlook express problem.

AL.

Welcome new folks! Let us know if you have any questions, need to vent or a shoulder, want to be goofy (we like being goofy), need direction, anything. Folks here are very helpful and knowledgable. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Welcome to your new family. People here are great. They don't judge, and some tell you how it is. People here are amazing. Some are going through pure hell and are still there to help others and lead the way, or aleast let you know whats further down the path. Really sorry you guys are here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back