Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
I ventured out for a long weekend away for the first time in years. I drove up to Sequoia National Park and spent 4 nights. It felt strange to be away, and several times I thought I might be rushing it.

I did some hiking through the sequoia groves. Many of the trees had been damaged by fire. Some of the trees had their heart completely burned out. Yet the trees recovered, grew, and flourished. I took it for inspiration going forward.

V

What a fitting metaphor. Good for you, V! 💕

Oh V I love the metaphor!
For me it was finding that while I cared for Chris and ignored my property to do that, 2000 koala food trees came up and began growing. It was the thing that turned me in the direction of healing.
Baby steps that resonate like this are wonderful.

What a great experience to witness the re-birth of the trees as you move forward!

This will sound very crazy but I will share it. To provide focus I have booked a writing retreat for next Fall at the home where Richard Gere filmed the 2009 movie Nights in Rodanthe. I get lonely by myself at the beach and thought a writing retreat would help with this. I had my choice between the room Gere used for the love making scene or a room with a private bath. I thought for a moment...yes I admit I did...but I chose the room with the private bath. The retreat is a 10 hour drive from here or 80 miles from one airport and 120 miles from another. There are bridges...one 5 miles across the ocean. I am intimidated by the thought of getting there. I haven't left town since January 2020 and stay in a 8 mile radius. The thought of doing this alone once would have been nothing and is now something I am a little fearful of. Anyway, the movie has some nice scenes of the beach.

V, I'm going to take your experience as inspiration too. It really is a perfect metaphor for how I feel right now.

V, I am so glad you got out for the hike and found a lovely metaphor to move forward with.

Checking in again. Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I spent a couple of days at a painting workshop which was such a wonderful experience. While I was away by myself I actually had someone sort of flirt with me which was a little confusing and took me by surprise.

I've been cycling and spending time with friends. And I'm off on my first cycling trip in years. I can't encourage caregivers enough to keep some activities for yourself while going through this journey. Painting and cycling sustained me and gave me a network of friends who continue to support me through my grieving. I am thankful and blessed.

V

V Have a good time on your cycling trip!

oh V - it is fantastic to think of you going away cycling.
flirting really is confusing isn't it, that's all I'm sayin ...

enjoy every moment, but be kind to yourself if it is up and down emotionally at the same time

Oh V, what wonderful news about the cycling trip. I am so excited for you. Enjoy every moment, and don't be afraid if emotions strike.

Flirting, yes, old as the ages, but very new in our situation.

Hugs,

Have a great trip, V!

V, I'm so happy you are getting out in the world. I had somebody flirt with me, and I literally had no idea what to do! It was so weird. This is such a s strange time in our lives, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back