Diagnosis
11/2015
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
The elevator is finally installed and yesterday was the first time my PALS was able to leave the house. I am so happy that we decided to do this even though it has been a long project, messy, disruptive, and difficult for me to manage along with all of the other things I do. It is still not complete (needs some refinement on the floor transition to make it easier) but I can now get him out.

Also, his Permobil power chair arrived today. We are both still learning how to use it and he tires so easily that we only used it once. He went down the ramps I have for the 2 steps into the TV room and back up again. A challenge for a first time user but we'll learn. He needs to have the bipap most of the time now, so we've hooked it on the back of the chair.

Next 2 hurdles are the bathroom and getting a handicap van. I spent most of the day reconfiguring the garage (the elevator goes from the main floor to the garage) to make things more organized after the construction and easier for him. I'm hoping I can get him out soon and take him down to the beach.

V

The chair should come fairly quick. It is a pain to do the things to get it all organized. I am the one in need, but I have always been the doer, so it is a hard transition to let go. I still have the bathroom on the to do list...

Congrats, V! Glad you can get out again. Construction is a bi#@%. My DH used a ramp to get down the one step we had in the house too. Took a little practice to get it. (When he had to go to steering with a head array, I ended up getting a wider one, since he almost toppled over the side!)

Fingers crossed all goes well with all the transitions.

this is terrific news - life changing for both of you!
Lots of short practice sessions will have him confident quickly.

I'm so glad that you can once again get out of the house together!! Just the knowledge that he was able to get in or out of someplace pleased Matt.

An update...my PALS finally went out in the Permobil and did a few loops around the cul-de-sac. He had such a smile on his face! It took quite a bit of encouragement and pushing him to get him to actually go down the elevator in the chair and outside, but now he knows he can do it. It's raining cats and dogs today so no outside fun, but once the weather has cleared I'm sure we'll be back out.

His illness is progressing and he struggles more and more to take a few steps. He is essentially dependent on the bipap now. We're both trying to find joy where we can. The ability to get outside should make a huge difference for both of us.

Wishing everyone a happy holiday

V

I remember the smile on Chris's face when he first went round and around in his PWC. 💗

Great news, V!

My DH loved to be outside. He used to take his chair out for long rides when he could. One day, he was gone for hours. When he finally answered my texts, he said he was around the block talking to a friend and would be home soon. When he got home, he said, " Well, I stopped over to see your Mom (1 mile away), then I went to the park (another mile or so) and rode around, then I rode around the neighborhood." I always remembered to ask where he was going after that!

I hope the chair brings your PALS a sense of freedom!

How wonderful to be out-and-about 🌳🤠:giggle:🕶. It's a bit like having a substitute car. May all those with one be able to enjoy it for a long, long time🌈 ! Roll on!🛣 B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back