Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
Hi all, thank you for taking the time to read this in advance. I never thought I would get to the point of posting on here and looking for some answers, but here I am. the reality is that my neurologists have been very bad and with covid all the larger institutions are booked out months... making it very hard to get an appointment anywhere good.

my symptoms started this spring with a constant state of malaise or general fatigue. i had some abnormal bloodwork but that has been corrected since. i noticed i was twitching in late may or early june in my legs and i have widespread twitching ever since. it is constant and never really stops unless i move. during this time i have been so tired and fatigued that i havent worked out in months, i still have strength but the exhaustion i feel has been terrible. i used to work out five times a week very heavy. i havent been able to get motivation or honestly energy to work out in that time. i have since developed tremors in my hands, mostly my left pointer finger each time i raise it. i also have this weird rippling look in my thighs when i bend then down or load them. it looks like the individual muslces within them are waving and its every time i bend or flex my legs. i have some visual symptoms and other things as well but the bottom line is, something is wrong with me and my doctors agree.

i have been to probably 7 or 8 doctors with different specialties over the past 5 months. one neuro told me that i didnt have anything bad and i passed the clinical about 2.5 months ago. i set up an emg that was done about a month and a half ago and it came back mildly abnormal. my doctor never called me and wont give me a call back to discuss the results with me so i was hoping for some help by some knowledgable people on here. please let me know what you think about this report if you can. thank you in advance.

emg 1.PNG
emg 2.PNG
emg 3.PNG
emg 4.PNG

Attachments

• EMG 5.PNG
    EMG 5.PNG
    94.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you are having such a long process to pinpoint things.
There is nothing at all here that would suggest ALS and I think the EMG shows that pretty clearly too.
You aren't reporting any clinical symptoms that would suggest ALS either, and the doctors are telling you that their clinical examinations find nothing.
I don't think you can really expect that by text we can tell you a single thing more than them, let alone anything different.
I hope you get to bottom of it, as I can tell it is distressing for you.
Cross ALS off your list of things to pursue, maybe something systemic with your fatigue issues, but as we have no doctors here, please return to your PCP and work from their advice.

thank you so much for your reply! i definitely want to cross it off my list, issue is i cant get to see a neurologist even with a reference from my primary care. they have refused because they see i have had tests from a previous neurologist (lol). so, while i have been doing things to manage my anxiety and talking with people, the no diagnosis is what i am struggling with. thank you for looking over the EMG though as that is something that has been hovering over me for a long while. i get thousands of twitches a day now, mainly in my legs but really widespread. hoping to come with an answer soon! its been almost 6 months :)

When twitches are frequent and annoying but there is no evidence of neuromuscular disease, the things to look at first are diet, hydration, stress, sleep, and exercise/stretching.

The ulnar findings point to not resting on your elbows and watching your keyboarding/texting/gaming positions. The conduction findings suggest that in addition to watching that you keep a neutral spine in movement (e.g. no slumping, bend your knees when you lift heavy things), that you make sure you have been tested to rule out diabetes.

The good news -- ALS isn't on the table.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back