Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Atlanta
Hello all,

First, I must say this is my first post here and am thankful for the insight all of you provide.

I have been reading posts here for a few days, looking for situations similar to mine and can't quite put a pin in it. I'm not looking to be diagnosed on the internet and understand thats a doctor's job, but could use a little guidance. Thank you in advance for any replies and feedback.

I am a 26 year old male.

I started noticing about a month ago that when sitting with my legs crossed they tend to go numb more easily than ever noticed. d I didn't think anything of it just seemed like it might be "one of those things". I have also noticed cramps in my calves when waking up from sleep. Not frequently, maybe once or twice that I remember in the past few months.

I later began experiencing some tingling and numbness in the back of my legs and calves when sitting at my desk at work. It all but went away when stranding up. So I went to my doctor, where blood work was performed. Thyroid, diabetes, liver, b12, electrolytes, and a few others. Everything came back normal. I have suffered from back pain frequently, mainly mid to lower and kind of chalked it up to that and maybe a new job.

The next day I felt a tingle in my left hand pinky which progressed to my ring finger, the next day produced a tremor. Not so much when resting the hand and not when using it. It's kind of hard to describe. I've seen the term "buzzing" or "vibrating" used here and that is fairly accurate. If I move my hand slightly the two fingers will shake pretty bad. It's been going for about four days. I wouldn't call it "weakness" per se, but definatly feels a bit uncoordinated. I noticed some odd sensation near the elbow and some pain in the forearm when flexing the wrist in an upward motion. I've been reading about ulnar nerve problems which seems possible, but doesn't explain the legs problem (which has subsided greatly.) I kinda felt that maybe the soreness is from self checking my hand strength all day long and not cubital tunnel, but who knows. The tremor is what scares me.

Lastly, the thing that is scaring me most, I have noticed muscle spasms all over my body. In the calves, quads above knee and upper, glutes, triceps, toe, and I thought even the face and abdomen. It goes on all day usually about one jolt or so in one area like the ankle or quad...etc. and then in two minutes or so a jolt or twitch somewhere else. I do feel like they may be more concentrated on the left side. The spasms are quick and last no more than a second. It's more like a "jump". It's really odd, I had notice more frequent spasms in the past few months, but used to drink a good bit of coffee so didn't think to much of it. I don't any longer.

I was obsessed with the way I spoke for about four days, as I stumbled over a word or two when having some pretty severe anxiety. It got pretty bad as I was studying every single thing I said. I have finally let that go and hasn't seemed to bother me in the past day. I was convinced I felt tingling in my tongue, but don't really notice it now.

My legs still go numb easily when crossed and my arms do as well if I lean on them. I was laying in bed on my side talking with my girlfriend and noticed my hands going numb almost instantly.

I know I have anxiety bad and am obsessed with what's going on in my body. I also understand that a lot of the general jittery shaky feeling is most likely anxiety as well. But the muscle twitching and spasms scare me and the left hand tremor does too. The numbness is a bit concerning, and don't see many posts talking about that being a symptom of ALS, but read one woman's story noting a similar feeling when waking up. Lastly, I have felt that my muscles are more "tired" than usual. When running a few days ago and still feel some quad soreness or fatigue.

Thank you for any response and apologies for writing a novel. It's been an extremely stressful week and a half and just looking for some thoughts or ideas. I know the stats and the odds, but when you feel strange and have loads of anxiety, it's hard to see things in that light. I do have a neurologist appointment, but not for a month.

My thoughts and prayers go out for everyone here and thank you all for your help.

I would like to direct you to the "READ BEFORE POSTING" message at the top of the DIHALS subforum. I think you will find your answers there with regards to numbness and tingling, feeling tired, etc.

There are some things you can do in the meantime to either mitigate symptoms or build a baseline for strength and coordination- visit with a physiotherapist. Your first appointment with them, where you can list your physical symptoms and work out a routine to strengthen and improve your posture, will help you understand how your physical structure works and what exercise can do to provide relief for symptoms. A physiotherapist can also indicate if they feel there is a neurological source for your symptoms and help provide you with real feedback about where it's affecting you and how.

So, in short, see a physiotherapist as soon as possible to put yourself on the path to wellness while you wait for an appointment with a neuro. Read the "READ BEFORE POSTING" thread- ALS is not as you describe your symptoms.

Your long Thread is stunningly similar to a few recently posted. Your case study is interesting too. (Well... it's written like a case study off a Med web site.) Let's say your new Thread is well worded and you have good descriptive command/memory of your issues that began just a month ago. Anywhooo...

You wrote you have been reading posts for the past few days... ?

Hope your physiotherapist helps you to many many more years beyond your 26 years.

Thank you so much for your response.

I will look into visiting a physiotherapist as soon as possible. I fully understand that anxiety and the mind are extremely powerful and that typically I wouldn't experience symptoms such as these happening so rapidly within a week or so.

I have just been prescribed anxiety medication which seems to help a little so far (in the four days I have taken it). I know that my issues are most likely a culmination of a few separate issues with a lot of anxiety mixed in. The random cramp here or there in a muscle, or twitching all over just get My anxiety going.

Thank you again for your response and appreciate all of the advice. I will try to not let anxiety rule over reason as I get all of this checked out.

Not sure I understand Clearwater. I actually have been taking notes of my symptoms as of about five days ago, because there seem to be so random. Don't know if that helps or not.

Not sure about the webmd reference. I definatly have read some articles in there, but didn't feel like it was quite like this. I know that the googling isn't going to help so I figured I would ask here.

First, stop crossing your legs when you sit? Do you keep good posture when you're sitting? Are you overweight? Do you get aerobic exercise daily? From what you've posted, I wouldn't consider ALS as being on the table.

I think you need to visit your primary care physician. Bring her or him your post.

Clint, there's no big problem going on there--certainly not ALS.

Oops. I'm wrong. In fact, I did read in your post of a terrible disease that can ruin your life if you don't get it fixed. Anxiety.

See your GP medical doctor and ask to ve evaluated for anxiety. The mind is a terrible thing

to waste.

Thank you again for all of your responses.

I'm to see the therapist again in a week, hopefully that will be able to set my mind at ease and get the anxiety under control.

I know that reading online is the worst thing to do, but just can't seem to stop. Yesterday has started a fine calf twitching that hasn't stopped since last night. I can't see it, but it's like it's crawling or constantly twitching.

I will try to stop with the internet searching because I know that I won't be able to diagnose myself and thank you again for all of the help and feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back