05/2009
Country
US
State
MD
City
Suburbs
First Patient Treated in Stem-Cell Study

The first patient has been treated with human embryonic stem cells in the first study authorized by the Food and Drug Administration to test the controversial therapy.

A patient who was partially paralyzed by a spinal cord injury had millions of embryonic stem cells injected into the site of the damage, according to an announcement early Monday by the Geron Corp. of Menlo Park, Calif., which is sponsoring the groundbreaking study.

The patient was treated at the Shepherd Center, a 132-bed hospital in Atlanta that specializes in spinal cord and brain injuries, Geron said. The hospital is one of seven sites participating in the study, which is primarily aimed at testing whether the therapy is safe. Doctors will, however, also conduct a series of specially designed tests to see whether the treatment helps the patients. No additional information about the first patient was released.

Read the entire washingtonpost.com article

While I am as excited as everyone else about the potential for stem cell cures (or delaying agents) I am saddened that we believe that we have to harvest them from fetal tissue. There are other ways to get stem cells, and those seem to behave better than the fetal variety (so far, at least). That would seem to be preferable than to go through the process of starting a baby just to harvest its parts. In this case, my moral system just can't jive with "two wrongs make a right."

Even with a son going through the diagnosis process as I write, I'd still probably forgo the fetal stem cell route. One life gone is more than enough...

Now, show some results from the stem cells we all already make in our bone marrow, or from umbilical cord blood, and I'm on board!

I would never use embrionic stem cells. I agree one person to lose a life is enough.

the stem cells were going to be discarted anyways and were not made for the purpose to do this ... i would do anything to save my son and to glfredrick your son has not been fully told he has a.l.s. ... you are in fear of it but , when you see your son going down as i am seeing with my son you may just change your mind .

the stem cells were going to be discarted anyways and were not made for the purpose to do this ... i would do anything to save my son and to glfredrick your son has not been fully told he has a.l.s. ... you are in fear of it but , when you see your son going down as i am seeing with my son you may just change your mind .

We're farther along than my posts may indicate. The first symptoms started over 5 years ago, and Jeremy has been dragging a leg and an arm for almost 2 years now. He still works full time as a mechanic, doing more with one arm and one leg than most do with a full body, caring for a fleet of vehicles and equipment of over 100 pieces. When he is not doing that, he's out doing radical off-road stuff with a Jeep he built himself. When he gets bad enough, we'll engineer hydraulic controls like some wheelchairs.

No, we will not trade one life for another... We are people of faith and I fully expect to see Jeremy run into the arms of Jesus some day.

looks like we have different belief in what happens in the so called here after , but , if you can stand there and watch your son not being able to button his shirt , not be able to lift the top of a trash bin when he could of so easily of picked up a 200 lb of pipe's 1 year ago to watch his child have to make and cut his sandwich , see him choke so easy and struggle to breath his face red , them more power to you and may jesus heal your heart so you dont feel the hurt i feel and answer the question why my son

I am ok with using a blastocyte to save my life.

If you oppose the use of embryonic stem cells on principle, I hope you are also opposed to the use of fetal cell line vaccines. G o o g l e: vaccine fetal

Most people don't know that several widely used vaccines are manufactured (cultured) using fetal cells.

And then there's the death penalty... Most people are inconsistent in the application of their principles. (I admit, I am!)

There is current research at Harvard aimed at developing replacements for stem cells.

I get the fighting for life! Within 1 1/2 years recently i lost 15 people who were either family or close freinds, young and old a like. It is heartbeaking and devistating. I am not as far advanced in this disease as a lot of others and I am not looking forward to where I know i am headed. Trust me I am hoping and praying for a cure for this disease. I just would not choose some methods as others would at trying to stay alive. Just like choosing to be on a vent or not? we all have to make that desicion as well and most people choose not to. What is right for one person may not be for another. I hate this disease and I am sorry any of us have to have these discussions in the first place. It is so painful that I probably will not see my kids grow up, graduate, marry and have familys. Watch my grandson grow up and grow old with my husband.:sad:

I agree and I have been diagnosed with als

Hi there. I agree with you. They will be discarded anyway...Life gives Life! That's how we are all here! I am a 38 year old single Mommie of 3 year old twins and if I had the chance for life I would take it. I want to be here to watch them grow and bandage their bumps and bruises. My twins are boy/girl and they are my breath. I wouldn't EVER want to let them see me suffer in the way this disease leads us to. I just don't understand how someone wouldn't want to at least try stem cell. Why wouldn't someone want to be here with family/friends as long as God intended us to be? Call me what you will...I call it a choice and I chose LIFE! I just pray we are able to crack the code sooner rather than later! Hugs xoxo

what ever higher power there is or what we believe , it is a personal choice but , i look at it as you believe in god did god say that ? , maybe he gave man the brain to figure things out

I am ok with using a blastocyte to save my life.

If you oppose the use of embryonic stem cells on principle, I hope you are also opposed to the use of fetal cell line vaccines. G o o g l e: vaccine fetal

Most people don't know that several widely used vaccines are manufactured (cultured) using fetal cells.

And then there's the death penalty... Most people are inconsistent in the application of their principles. (I admit, I am!)

There is current research at Harvard aimed at developing replacements for stem cells.

I am very solidly pro-life, but I also have no qualms whatsoever of the death penalty for convicted murderers. They have committed a crime against humanity that has consequences. A fetus has not... They are innocent victims with less voice than slaves.

I expect that I will have to watch as my son goes downhill, and it is going to be the most difficult thing I've ever done in this life. There is no shame in admitting that. I and we will weep many tears before this venture is over!

But, that does not justify removing the life of another victim, and God help me (and us!) let that never be the case. I cannot even imagine asking God for blessing if I were also willing to violate another human life.

I am SO all for stem cell cures -- just use the stem cells from some other source than a fetus who has to die for the sake of research. We've already made some huge advances using stem cells from other sources -- indeed, it almost seems as if most of the advances in stem cell cures come from sources apart from fetal cells. Why the rush to produce babies just for the sake of harvesting their parts? Seems rather sub-human at the end of the day.

Note well that I am not trying to take anyone to task for the way they feel. We are each responsible and culpable for our own moral walk. I am merely expressing my heart on this matter, not trying to be offensive to anyone else. The disease is difficult enough, we don't have to beat each other up about it.

I just don't see how putting stem cells in the trash discourages abortion.

Does anyone really believe that people end pregnancies just to provide stem cells?

Go ahead, enlighten me.

not all are abortion's some are miscarriges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back