Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
VA
City
Richmond
:-( Today was the first fall. We have an older home, but today I fell down the two front steps off the front porch. Nothing more than a badly scraped hand, lots of bruises, and the knowlege and fear that things are getting worse. I have safely mobile. Can't use a cane because the disease started in my hands and arms. Thought we had more time for ramps and accessiblity, but I guess not. And the there is the terror.

And somehow I knew that all of you would understand in a way no one else can.

Holly

Holly - I am so sorry that this day has come for you. It is, indeed, frightening. Our first fall was about a week ago......we went for a walk and were crossing the street. A car came around the corner and startled my dh, and his feet both turned in and his legs buckled and down he went, right in the middle of the street with cars coming from both directions. I could see in his eyes what I just read in your note, and........

My heart goes out to you. We are all here for you.

Shelly

Welcome to our forum family Holly. My ALS started in my right hand three years ago. I know the frustration, anger and fear you will face dealing with this monster. Please remember there is always someone here to listen to you without judgemeent. We will share our insights and ideas. I can't use cane either but a walker works me in the house. When I go out I hang onto someone for a short distance. I'm using a wheel chair more too. It helps to conserve energ. If there is a support group near you I think you should go when your ready. We made many friends at ours.

So far I have loss of movement and strength in left hand and arm.

I have been shaky or have bad balance for 2 months or more. I do not look forward to my first "nosedive" but I know it's coming. I live alone so am considering getting Lifeline support in BC where you push a button thats on a chain around your neck if you cant move. With my luck I will break the only useable arm.

At home I am trying to make sure I have something strong for supportbefore I make moves.. Since moving fast is no longer an option I go outside once a week midweek and shop with 2 friends.

It is a blessing to have the comfort of people here.

Sorry to hear of your fall. My DX was in May 2011 and my first fall was in July! I fail in a tiled bathroom, the Nestea plunge, straight backward. I don't know what kept me from killing myself. Actually, I had another one in the closet and luckily I had a basket of clothes behind me and I fell but first into it. I know the fear and the feeling of a fall... Not a good feeling to say the least. My best to you!

I'm sorry you fell, Holly. Thank goodness you didn't hurt yourself too seriously, physically.

Hi Holly... I can relate with you on the falls. I was diagnosed back in Oct. last year and mine started in the legs. I've had quite a few falls since then and some before then too. I know how scary it is and my last fall was pretty bad. We were away from home and I wasn't used to my surroundings and fell in a hotel shower. I bruised up my butt pretty bad and my left shoulder and skinned up my left ankle. Then to top it off I tried to catch myself with my right arm and pulled the muscles in it so I was sore on both sides. It's hard to deal with... just be careful. I'm in the process of getting ready to build a ramp also. Steps are not a friend anymore. Take care!

So sorry you fell and am relieved that you had only minor injuries.

It seems like the fall happens in slow motion and then there's the disbelief factor thrown in. I just couldn't comprehend a "reason" for any particular fall. Our bodies just begin to betray us.

We PALS should be using adaptive devices much earlier than we do.

I tell my kids that I'm not a Weeble... cause Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

Seriously you have to remember to always be holding on to something before you move one foot... as a blade of grass can make you topple over! Have things in your house before you need them is probably the best way to go. And if it's been in your space already, it's become a little familiar to you.

I get the most frustrated when I fall because I get sooo mad when I can't get up.

Stay on the forum it's definitely easier to get through your days with the great folks here.

So sorry Holly that you fell....my legs are getting wobbly too, but I use a scooter and a walker and that makes things easier....NO STAIRS
love you

Hey Holly,
Sorry about your fall. I remember my first fall it was off the side walk about a year ago but I was able to get up back then and havenʻt had a fall until this past Dec in my bedroom while putting away clothes in my drawer... I flipped out and tired to get up which was impossible so I wanted and cried until my husband came in from mowing the lawn. Thank God I didnʻt get hurt just freaked out and now need to be more aware of my surroundings.
Be safe and stay strong. You will find lots of help here. Take Care :)

Aloha no...nice to hear from home. Grew up in Honolulu, moved to mainland when I got married (the first time) and try to get back when I can. Like most haole kids, went to Punahou, Class of '69. UH then moved away.

Oh, happy new year! We actually have a chinese rest. here with a HongKong chef. Not bad mauna pua!

Mahalo for all the support.

Holly, I had 2 falls last week.Tripped and Fell right into a bucket. It was like a scene from a cartoon trying to get my butt up and out. My 87 year old father and 12 year old daughter hoisted me. The second one was me trying to step over a pile of laundry (i should have gone around!) Off balance and down I went
One thing I learned is to walk very carefully, like Helen said a blade of grass could trip us up.

I am fearful of falling in a public place and having nothing to grab onto to pull myself up - then a crowd gathers and I am embarrassed to tears. I've fallen only 3-4 times, but who says our fears have to be rational? After all, what's rational about ALS? My walking is just very clumsy and people look at me and then look quickly away with that stpuid little smile that you know they're thinking (a) what's wrong with her and (b) I'm glad that's not me.

Just venting. Went t o Godiva for my free chocolate today and got lots of looks... the price for free chocolate I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back