Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Good morning to everyone, I had my first EMG and NCV three days ago. Unfortunately results were not normal. The findings with EMG were diffuse distal denervation consistent with polyneuropathy and focal denervation of the Tibialis Anterior muscle.

Sccording to the doctor, i have mild polyneuropathy, moderate bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome and left L5 radiculopathy

I also had low velocity in the left and right median, left and right peroneal, left and right ulnar and left tibial (all motor nerves). Also prolongued distal distal peak latency and decreased conduction velocity in both left anr right mediand sensory nerves.

Please your guidance is if these are preliminary sympthoms of ALS. Unfortunately I read too much and Im really afraid.
Thanks in advance to your answers and opinions
Lion

No. You have your interpretation and diagnoses. What were you told to do next? EMGs show abnormalities of different kinds. Yours were not the abnormalities associated with ALS. Lucky you!

In adittion, I have to get an MRI to check if I have something going on in the L5. I tell you that I have kind of weird feeling in my left leg, specially in the foot and behind the knee, but I cannot detect to have lost strenght so far. And in regards to TCS, I have some pain but not really much, also havent detected loss of strengh
Thanks again,

Nikki, thanks for your quick reply, and Im so sorry to hear that happens to you. I will pray for you and your family and all the affected people with this.
But denervation doesnt mean a sympthom of ALS?
Thaks again

All ALS involves denervation but not all denervation is ALS. There are a number of other causes. If you had ALS you would have shown other things on your EMG which you did not. And you had findings on your ncs that do not go along with ALS. That is why you were given your diagnoses. Nothing to do with ALS so don't worry

Thanks again Nikki, I also had in the EMG and NCV report reduced amplitude in both median motor nerves. Does it change anything? Sorry to bother you but just wanted to be sure and forgot to say that in my previous mails

No it does not. Trust your doctor

I have one more question if I may...I realized that after moving the muscles of the calves At Both legs it starts to fasciculate for several minutes. At these muscles is where I have the denervation (tibialis anterior muscle). Is it also compatible with polyneuropathynorneomething else? Unfortunately I will not see my doctor in four months and the new findings I have every day are driving me nuts. And the results of the EMG were not discussed with my neurologist, i Just asked For a copy to her secretary and found the news...So I do not know what to do / what not to do to eventually stop my denervation. I'm so sorry to bother you guys but I'm on a two week vacation with my family and not able to forget all of this. Thanks again for your replies. Regards

One more thing: with my diagnosis of polyneuropathy does it exclude the als or maybe it can develop in ale in the future with acute signs of current findings? Thanks

You are neither more or less likely to get ALS than anyone else in the general population.
Call or email the doctor with your questions. If the doctor did thr test then they should make recommendations on what you should do. This is not the place for you to get medical advice

I would call your neuro and ask for an earlier appiintment and to be put on the cancellation list. You might be seen sooner.

Ok thank you both for the answers and again sorry to bother

Nikki, I am in awe by how you handle these questions. ALS is so hard to cope with that I find myself getting frustrated by these "Non-Related" ALS questions. Thank you for taking on this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back