Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Oakville
Hello all my name is Al and I was diagnosed with ALS in 2014, was an awful surprise but what can you do, life goes on. A little history about me, I spent 38 years with Mississauga Dept., 15 years as Captain on a Rescue truck, 5 years Captain on an Aerial truck and the rest of my career on a Pumper, 38 years I would not trade for any other job. Best job in the world.
The City of Mississauga is located just west of the City of Toronto on the province of Ontario Canada. When I first started on the department there was 58 members hence my name Firefighter58. Mississauga now has just shy of 900 members, it has become the 6th largest department in Canada. A very fast growing city.
I married the girl next door 45 years ago and we are still married, and in the same house for 43 years. One son and 2 grand kids, a boy and a girl. And that is about it.

Hi Firefighter58! Sorry to welcome you here. Sounds like you and your wife have had many blessings. So sorry that ALS has come into your life. You have found a wonderful place for support.

Hi Al,
Thank you for introducing yourself. I just joined in April and it's kind of hard coming in mid stream to get a sense of who's who. I'm Kate and am my husband's primary caretaker, he was diagnosed 9/13. I am retired from the investment industry and my husband had a dual career, first in banking then as a singer and actor. In fact he sang with the Boston Pops 9 months before his diagnosis. It's nice to meet you although I wish it were under better circumstances.

Welcome. Nice to read your story. Sorry that part of the beautiful story is ALS. You will find everyone here to be helpful and understanding.

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated. As far as the ALS goes for me I consider it to by much like the dangers I faced in my career, It is there, I must respect it, it could kill me but I am not afraid of it, it is part of my life now. I still intend to enjoy life.

AL..............welcome to the "Love Boat". Wish you slow progression and cope ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back