Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Mass
City
Florence
I have a problem with sweating between my fingers.
they are hard to separate with out the help of the other hand.
any ideas how to keep dry ?

You might try a think coat of baby powder (or corn starch). That and lambswool works for my husband's toes.

A hand splint that separates as well as straightens may really help.

It is really important or you may have fungal infections set in.

Place a strip of wicking type cloth between each finger, and change it every day. I always wash and blow dry between Tim's fingers and toes, and any other place like armpits that can get moist. You can have rolls made to place between your fingers to keep them separated. Tim's hands are now completely flaccid now so I just make sure that his fingers are resting with all of them apart.
Paulette

Your care giver could easily make them for you. You could pad a ¼" thick board that is about 5" wide and 12" long and wrap it with gaze. What I do then is make a cotton ball that would sit in the palm of your hand so that when you place your hand down on it it is in a comfortable neutral position. Have the person roll 3" guaze till the role is about ½" thick and place one between each of your fingers and mark where they need to go. You could use silk tape to tape these rolls onto the padded place on the splint and then it is ready for your hand to rest in it. Cotton is the best as foam would make your hands sweat more. I often make up splints for patients in ER when they have an awkward IV, or a laceration on a hand that needs to be kept still while it heals. Your imagination is the limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back