Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi all, wondering what causes the finger curling? My dads baby finger has curled and he can only push it open and cant open it otherwise. Any suggestions for this..he tells me he can feel it starting on the ring finger slightly. Thanks for any info or thoughts.

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
It is from weakness. Eventually if he does nothing his hand will be stuck in a clenched hand position which can be uncomfortable and lead to infections in his palm. Suggest range of motion and stretching and a splint especially at night

Mon

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Thanks Nicki. I will give him these suggestions. Appreciate it.

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
Muscles in the arms are atrophying and this pulls the fingers into a curl. Massage and stretching starting with long strokes along the forearms and progressing to the hands can help relieve and slow down the curling.
Splints when resting and at night can really help too.
Make sure to keep his hands clean and dry as they curl in too.

Mon

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Thanks for your response "affected" sorry not sure of your name. Thanks for these great tips

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
You are welcome - I'm called Tillie here 😊
This video might help, I made this when caring for Chris

Mon

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Thanks so much for sharing your video Tillie. Very helpful.

swalker

Very helpful member
Reason
DX MND
Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
I found Tillies videos very helpful. We do passive range of motion on various body parts and I find that it really helps.

Steve

Reactions: Mon

lgelb

Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
As the weather cools off, if cold is playing a role, you can also try placing HotHands hand warmers, single-use air-activated heat packs, under the hand to try to relax the muscles in between massages; they can be used with or without splints. For those whose legs or feet get cold/cramp, I recommend trying Vaso-Wraps under clothing. Depending on size, they can be used on arms as well.

Of course, there are many kinds of hand (we used fleece "polar fleece unisex hand protectors" from Buck and Buck and it would be easy to insert a hand warmer in the palm or on top/side of the hand of one of those, or alternate), arm, and leg protectors, as well as traditional leggings.

Here is our PT show 'n' tell for massage and ROM in a wheelchair. In winter, those are all the more important.

Mon

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Thanks Laurie for your tips & video. So helpful, especially with the cold weather almost upon us. I will suggest and give a try.

MrEDS

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2021
Country
US
State
AR
City
Paragould
I am starting to deal with this problem also. I straighten my fingers and massage my forearms several times daily now.

lisatsmith13

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
06/2021
Country
US
State
AL
City
Cowarts
I have started having some finger/hand/arm clenching in one hand, so I was glad to get your instructions.