finger claw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they have

I would clip Chris nails every week to ensure they wouldn't dig into him at all. He didn't like his nails too short. I found it was an easy routine to just do weekly - trim his nails and clip his beard.

I have been diagnosed for over 15 months and finger clawing has different degrees of weakness.
My massage therapist who comes 2 times a week, has worked on muscles in my mid back and shoulders that I
feel down my arm to my fingers. My muscles in my fingers are stronger after that massage. Then slowly returns to former weakness
until next visit. Currently do finger stretching, but no finger splints.

>My massage therapist who comes 2 times a week, has worked on muscles in my mid back and shoulders that I
feel down my arm to my fingers.

help?

Thank you Tillie.

I had therapy on my hands & shoulders last week, and was sent home with exercises to do. The ones for my shoulders ended up causing pain, so I stopped those, but the ones for the hands have helped me immensely. My fingers aren't clawed yet, just a couple of them on my weak hand was trying to .... they seem to be better. My husband has been rubbing coconut oil on my back, which has helped with the soreness, but not as much with the weakness.

Lilac I SO wish there was something we could do to help the weakness, but we can't as the nerves dying cause the muscles to die.

ALS SUCKS

Massage now may help slow the clawing in the hands as it stretches those muscles - remember massage of the forearms helps the clawing most and massage of the back of the shoulders help with the frozen shoulder pain at the front of the shoulder. I know sounds odd, but it's kind of a domino effect.

Lilac I SO wish there was something we could do to help the weakness, but we can't as the nerves dying cause the muscles to die.

ALS SUCKS

Massage now may help slow the clawing in the hands as it stretches those muscles - remember massage of the forearms helps the clawing most and massage of the back of the shoulders help with the frozen shoulder pain at the front of the shoulder. I know sounds odd, but it's kind of a domino effect.

Tillie

Thank you ((((Tillie))))

Yes, I stopped the exercises the PT prescribed. I was not aware (until this forum) that overuse of the affected muscles could hasten progression. I am surprised my ALS doctor did not tell me that. It it certainly good info to keep in mind.

> I stopped the exercises the PT prescribed. I was not aware (until this forum) that overuse of the affected muscles could hasten progression.

good. I pull mine open using my other forearm.

My hand started clawing beginning of last winter. As I didn't have a diagnosis at the time, I thought it was due to the cold weather. And the nails...because I don't use the hand for anything really, the fingernails grow fast and strong! My daughter gets $1 every time she trims them for me...I'm going to make her rich!
God bless, Janelle x

>The most flexible finger is my left middle finger. I knew it would be a year ago. All the other fingers curl down, while the middle finger stays straight.My dominant right hand is weaker than my left. I have clinic next week and expect to get some night splints. At least ALS gave me one sign I can make for a long time.

Better watch out, you might give the sign by accident. That happened to me once, but i think the screaming let people know it wsnt normal. Try tonic water. it has quinine that will relieve the cramps, although of course nothing stops this cursed disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back